UKC

Ipad mini questions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 22 Mar 2015
I had need to get a tablet in a hurry yesterday and was unable to find a Google Nexus in the time I had so reluctantly got a iPad mini.

One thing I've noticed is that its constantly asking me for my password when downloading stuff. If I do things 1 after the other it doesn't but leave it a few minutes and I've got to enter my password again. Am I missing something? like being able to auto save it? Android does it! The only thing I can think that might be affecting this is that I've set it up to be linked to the American Apple store as it gives me access to either unavailable to the UK content or if I choose possibly content thats cheaper than in the UK.

Secondly, it appears that if I'm downloading something and the iPad goes to sleep or I put it to sleep then it drops the wifi connect and the download stops. Again, am I missing something as Android keeps going until finished even when asleep.

I have a load of films in various formats from .mvk to mp4 to .avi etc how can I get them onto the iPad mini? drag and drop nor import seems to work.
Thanks

goose299 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

It will always ask you for your password again. That's apple's security feature
OP Indy 22 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

Surely the lock screen is the security feature? besides if a thief did get hold of my iPad what could they do but buy me lots of apps which benefits them.... errr zero? All that the incessant retyping of passwords does is annoy you and/or make you have a short easy to crack password?

Android isn't a hotbed of app theft!
 goose299 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

Annoys me too.
 Billhook 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

If you mean the four numerals you get asked for at the start of sessions then this can be altered under the 'settings' apps to a much longer period of time so if you are continually picking up and putting the thing down it doesn't keep asking you for them again.

You are asked for it everytime you go to the Itunes store, but I've never been asked for it when going on line to other sites.

Somewhere buried in the settings app, you'll probably find the answer.
 ben b 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

The iPad Mini currently has Touch ID, i.e. fingerprint lock. You shouldn't need to enter a PIN on the lock screen with this (although climbing wreaks havoc with fingerprints so might not work...). Can also be set up to make Apple Store purchases.

hth

b
OP Indy 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Thanks both Dave and Ben....

I have no problem with the 4 number code (is there anyway to make this more secure than 4 numbers i.e numbers and letters?) to unlock the screen its the iCloud password that it keeps asking me for every 10 minutes or so thats becoming irritating.

Was going for a 3rd Gen Mini but all shop had in stock was a 16gb which was too small so went for a 32gb 2nd Gen.
 goose299 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to Dave Perry)
>
> Thanks both Dave and Ben....
>
(is there anyway to make this more secure than 4 numbers i.e numbers and letters?)

In the settings, there's an option to change this to a combination of numbers and letters
 ByEek 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

> Surely the lock screen is the security feature? besides if a thief did get hold of my iPad what could they do but buy me lots of apps which benefits them.... errr zero?

There has been a lot of pressure on the phone companies by consumers and companies to beef up their security measures but I do agree that the "Apple way" is not very sensible. Wait till you start wrestling with iTunes! Now there is a fun week of your life you will never get back!
 Bob 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

You can switch between "simple", i.e. 4 digit, passwords and long passwords by going to Settings->Touch ID and Passwords and deselecting "Simple Password". Now set it to whatever long password you want.

The icloud/itunes password "feature" is to prevent kids from running up huge in-app purchases on their devices. Most password features in to live systems have some form of timeout.
 ChrisRGX 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Indy:

I use a separate (non apple) video player app to watch films etc. iTunes doesn't read all the formats but an app like AVPlayerHD reads most (certainly .mkv).

I transfer the files across on my PC within iTunes although there is a wifi option inside the app. If you go into the apps section of the device (in iTunes) and scroll down, there will probably be a couple of apps listed that you can add/remove files to/from. AVPlayerHD works like this. You then just highlight the app, click add a file and browse to wherever your videos are stored.

I prefer this to iTunes as it I'm not restricted by file format. I also don't use iTunes to buy my films very often.

Hope that helps.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...