UKC

Irby Quarry, Wirral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GaryGibbons 23 Mar 2015
Does anyone climb at Irby Quarry on the Wirral?
If so, any easy lines there?

Thanks
DaveSwarb 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

Plenty of easy lines, lots of ledges though. Not worth travelling to from any distance. If you search around you can find a few harder problems. In the past has been used by groupd for top roping and abseiling. areas will be overgrown but it actually dries quite quick. The Breck in Wallasey is better if your looking for lovely steep pocketed sanstone with problems ranging from trad 4c
 Rampikino 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

I visited Irby no so long ago. On a nice sunny evening it's actually fun for a bit of soloing and there are some interesting easy lines. I'm not far from the Wirral so it's easy, but not worth a long-distance journey. As the previous poster said, the Breck is better for harder test pieces but Irby does have some merit and is fairly accessible.
 Ndawson 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

I live about 5 minutes from Irby quarry. Set up some top ropes and got 2/3 routes in few years back.

A lot of glass and rubbish around the base and the top of the crag is quite overgrown.

Not a bad traverse along the base of the crag though.

Neil

IMA 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

Good pub near by though (Irby Mill)
Removed User 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

Not really anything there worth mentioning at all. Make sure you wait for it to dry out if you're intending to go soon.
GaryGibbons 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks all. Am only 5 minutes away so may venture there or Wallasey
 Pekkie 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GaryGibbons:

You need to get yourself a copy of 'Cheshire & Merseyside Sandstone' BMC guidebook 2012. It has details for Irby and The Breck plus bouldering venues nearby such as The Arno and Grange Hill. Also great crags not too far away from you such as Helsby, Frodsham, Pex and Frogsmouth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...