UKC

Climbing after appendicitis surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 29 Mar 2015
I had appendicitis a few weeks back and had it removed by laparoscopic appendectomy. I've got 3 small incisions on my abdomen that are healing up well but still have scabs on them.

The doctor said no heavy lifting for two weeks, but wasn't too helpful with any advice regarding my more normal activities like climbing, running, biking, other than that there was a small but significant risk of a hernia if I strained too much too soon.

Has anyone else had this procedure done, and if so, how long was it until you were climbing again?

If I jiggle up and down (like jogging on the spot) then it feels a bit 'weird' but not painful. I think everything in there is still settling down a bit. Any tips for if I took a leader fall in a harness? Would that be a problem?

There were no stitches/staples that I could see. Maybe they were dissolvable internal ones? Does anyone know if the incisions heal from the outside in, or the inside out? I'm wondering if when they look fully healed on the outside, they are in fact still healing inside in the muscle or would they be already healed?

I'm really keen to get out climbing again as soon as possible, but even more keen to not cause any further problems. My impatience is starting to win so I thought I'd ask for some advice on here! Thanks.
 marsbar 29 Mar 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

I suggest leaving it a bit longer. If you can still feel something its not healed totally.
 Coel Hellier 29 Mar 2015
In reply to

> If you can still feel something its not healed totally.

There's no need to wait for it to heal totally. Just take it slowly and gradually, building up (and avoid things like leader falls and falling off boulder problems).

Pain is a good regulator: if it doesn't hurt it's fine to continue. If it starts hurting, stop.
 spragglerocks 29 Mar 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

I went climbing 2 weeks after the same surgery, however I'm not sure it was that wise. I was climbing easy trad at the time so nothing overly strenuous and the only issue i had was when the harness was tight across the appendix area (doesn't correspond to the scars). I also remember getting a kind of stinging pain at some point during the week (I was in Cornwall the a week on a pre-arranged holiday). I've had no ill effects (5 years on) from climbing that soon afterwards. That's my experience - only caveat is I generally take the apporach of poping a paracetamol or two and getting on with it, I find it tends not to hurt while you're enjoying yourself but afterwards is a different story.
 iccle_bully 29 Mar 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

As with every question which comes up like this, listen to your body. Try it, if it doesn't feel right stop. Simples! Only you know what it feels like, if you're not comfortable (physically or mentally) you won't enjoy it so there's no point pushing on for the sake.

Not the same surgery but I started climbing again 2 weeks after a c-section (much to many people's horror). I was low level traversing the bouldering wall and gradually built up height I was prepared to fall off from without things feeling weird and my confidence in and ability to engage my core muscles. 5 montgs on and It's going really well.
 dangermouse79 30 Mar 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

It takes 6 months or so for any incision to heal fully but that's not to say that you can't start exercising now. The usual advice would be to start gently and build up. I wouldn't suggest starting off with climbing, particularly leading, as this is likely to put more strain on the abdominal wall. Maybe cycling or gentle jogging first? Then some gentle top roping or traversing and see how you feel? I agree that your body is a good guide, if it hurts then back off a bit.

You will have absorbable stitches, in the skin and also a deeper layer for the cut by your belly button. Healing on the outside is not a guide to the level of healing on the inside. The risk of getting a hernia from these incisions is pretty small but they can and do occur (although probably more in the overweight and unhealthy).

Without wanting to sound like a prick, I'd generally suggest seeking medical advice from your doctor rather than on an internet forum. (NB I do perform this surgery regularly but you'll have to take my word for that!)

Happy climbing
OP NottsRich 30 Mar 2015
In reply to edwardsbbrown:

Thanks for the advice. I completely agree about asking my doctor, but I'm currently no where near my registered GP practice and a temporary transfer hardly seems worth it just to ask a question when I could be patient and wait another couple of weeks. However, I think asking on forums, specific to my sport, certainly has a valid use as well, even if just anecdotal.

Interesting that the incisions take 6 months to heal fully, thanks. It looks like some cycling and then top roping will be a good start then. It's reassuring to know that I can use pain as a guide to pushing on. I was worried that I might be doing damage without feeling any associated pain.

Thanks to everyone else for the stories and anecdotes everyone, much appreciated. It's reassuring to see numbers in the weeks rather than months range.
Tomtom 30 Mar 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Hey
I had the same surgery when in marines basic training, and it took me out for 8 weeks.
The biggest impact is in your abs, so your core strength is down.
You've essentially been stabbed three times in the abdomen, although the wounds are thin, they're deep.
I wasn't a climber at the time, but i had plenty of other varied physical stuff to get back to.
The hardest part was breathing, cos opening my diaphragm was painful and difficult.
A thick tight belt was uniform, and that actually rubbed on one of the wounds, so it healed slower than the rest.
It gave it 6 weeks doing essentially nothing, then two weeks getting back into it, before returning to training.
Listening to your body is all well and good, but if you've trained your mind to fight through pain and such, you could be doing damage without realising it.
Laproscopic surgery is ace, and will massively speed up recovery, but don't slow that down by tearing the wounds open.

If it helps, I was just as determined to get back to normal, I remember being in sick bay 2 days after my op, high as a kite on tramadol, and running around the ward, doing squats and press ups to prove to the doc I could go back to my troop. He agreed, and my sergeant told me to get stuffed, and go home! I suppose crawling round in mud and water isn't brilliant for three stab wounds to the belly.

It took me two weeks to get over the surgery and anesthetic, and two weeks forcing myself to do nothing. Weeks 5 and 6, gentle walking, avoid over use of the core muscles. Weeks 6 and 7, maybe some light bouldering to build it up again. Week 8 onwards, gentle increase in difficulty and such.

It's annoying, but the core is relied on so heavily during climbing, and the last thing you want to do is tear those wounds!

Good luck

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...