UKC

Cold tolerance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 31 Mar 2015
Ive seen people do amazing things in very cold conditions and I must say that I do struggle to carry on with activities when the temperature drops, especially something dexterous like climbing.
There was a documenatry on tv a while ago about 'the ice man' a fairly ordinary bloke whos body seemed to stay within normal limits even in sub zero water.

So, how does one go about increasing cold tolerance?
 Billhook 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

There have been numerous studies into this. I recall one study where students (who else?) were paid to spend several days in what in effect was a large walk in freeze at some low temperature. Over a couple of weeks they became physiologically (?) adapted to the colder conditions.

Rhienhold Messner in one of his earliest books describes how he used to hold snow balls in his hands when he was out mountaineering/walking in winter.

So, in short, expose yourself (legally!), to colder weather (less clothes) and turnm the heating lower inside your house and so on.
 nutme 31 Mar 2015
People have different blood circulation in different body parts. For example I always wear a hat because my head and ears get cold very fast, but have a good circulation in my hands, so normally do fine without gloves up to zero Celsius. My girlfriend has it more balanced and normally put on hat and gloves at same time. It's very common to have a bad blood circulation in the feet. Many people struggle with that and end up wearing woolen socks and B3 boots even in Alpine summer.

Getting used to cold and exploring your limits is useful. It's important to understand your body. Back home, in Russia, we used to cut a hole in frozen lake and swim for short periods. Mixing it with wet sauna. It really helps and good fun!
 zimpara 31 Mar 2015

Yes its down to exposure. And being Individual with circulation and things.

Its like cold showers. If you've never had one. Surprisingly cold. Even Luke warm is nearly nauseating. Unless you have them often
OP The Potato 31 Mar 2015

i started last year 'wild swimming' and that seems to help, I was just curious if this was the correct approach, whether its physiological or psychological.
Thanks for the replies so far.
 Dax H 31 Mar 2015

After spending 27 years working outside I now work and play in a tee shirt all year round.
There is a standing joke at my shooting club that if people arrive and see me with a jacket on they don't even get out of the car.
The down side to this is I don't cope in summer, anything over 15c and I feel very uncomfortable indeed.
 JohnnyW 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Dax H:

> After spending 27 years working outside I now work and play in a tee shirt all year round.

> There is a standing joke at my shooting club that if people arrive and see me with a jacket on they don't even get out of the car.

> The down side to this is I don't cope in summer, anything over 15c and I feel very uncomfortable indeed.

Similar to myself. I run hot, and have always been several layers less than the majority. I have found my hands and feet have become more 'sensitive' as the years wear on though, and I have had to develop better strategies. Maybe I am simply not working as hard as I did when I was younger?

As to the OP, I do think you can cope with less on than you think, and you do become more hardy if you do so. I suppose it is exposure to exposure?
 Alyson 31 Mar 2015
Swimming outdoors in cold water is a big reason why I've a high tolerance for the cold. I also think there's a large psychological element. When people say they 'feel the cold' they really mean they register it as discomfort. I tell myself the cold is quite pleasant - therefore it is! The only times I 'feel the cold' as discomfort is if I'm very tired or emotional. I've heard it reported as women feel the cold when they're tired and men feel the cold when they're hungry. Not sure whether that's scientifically proven though!
Post edited at 13:28
 marsbar 31 Mar 2015

I seem to manage well in the cold but not in the heat. Not sure why. If I put gloves on I end up taking them off after a few minutes because I seem to warm up quickly. Could be down to growing up without central heating I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...