UKC

500m Rowing times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wushu 01 Apr 2015
I've recently started a rowing challenge at my gym, the challenge is basically row 500m as fast as you can.

On my first go I managed a 1:38 with the resistance set to 10.

Today I managed a 1:33, the resistance was again set to 10.

My question is, is this a good time? Unfortunately, I don't have a point of reference since only 1 other person is currently trying the challenge!

If it helps I'm 6ft 3 and 82kgs.

These are my first ever attempts at rowing, so I'm quite unsure!
 stewieatb 01 Apr 2015
In reply to wushu:

Hey mate

I'm a coxswain and rowing coach in my spare time, that's a decent time for the first couple of tries. Make sure your technique is really good - lots of good youtube videos on this, PTs in gyms tend to be utterly useless. Rowing with good technique is excellent for your back and core, rowing with bad technique is very likely to result in a back injury. Remember it's a first and foremost a leg workout, keep the upper body still (but the core engaged) in the early part of the drive.

Also, please, don't set the resistance to 10. It doesn't actually make the rowing any harder in a cardiac or muscular sense, it just means the loads are higher and you're more likely to get injured. If you think it's cheating, try a 500m piece at a high resistance (8-10) and a 500m piece at a resistance of 1. I can almost guarantee you'll go slower with the resistance set to 1! For a guy your size set it to about 4-5.

Cheers
Stewie
OP wushu 01 Apr 2015
In reply to stewieatb:

That's fantastic advice! Thank you!

As I mentioned I'm unsure on the correct procedures. I just assumed setting it to 10 was correct, so thank you for the tip.
 JayPee630 01 Apr 2015
In reply to wushu:

Check the Concept2 website, they have a list of records and workouts.
In reply to stewieatb:
Quick question Stewie as I too have just got access to a concept 2 and you seem to be a man in the know. With very little training and no tuition except a few pointers from a mate who used to row (straight back and all that), I have managed to row 2000m in under 7 minutes. Same question as before; is this good?

Looking at the concept 2 website it says 6:54:7 LWT and 6:25:0 with HWT, I don't know what category I'd be in I'm c.85kg and 200cm tall? I reckon if I trained I would definitely be under the LWT time.

Should I be looking for a club?

Edit: just found out that I'm classed as HWT. The british time is only 6:32:6 though, only 25s off..
Post edited at 21:52
 stewieatb 01 Apr 2015
In reply to The Green Giant:

Sub 7 for 2k is a pretty respectable start, especially on no training, it's definitely worth joining a club if you want to get fitter in this aspect and even more so if you want to get out on the water. Most clubs have coached training sessions and water sessions, and a training programme designed to make better athletes and stronger rowers. 6ft7" region makes you an excellent build for a rower. By the way, lightweight means under 75kg for erg times, you're definitely a heavyweight!

It's definitely worth trying and you sound like somebody who would suit it. Do you mind me asking where you're based? I may be able to point you to a club.
In reply to stewieatb:

Salzburg, Austria at the moment. Will be back in the UK over the summer though. I just re checked the Concept 2 website, I definitely was looking at the woman's results - a tad awkward.. World record for HWT is 5:38:3 which all of a sudden doesn't seem so attainable! Is shaving a minute and 20 seconds off a 2000m time really a viable goal?

In the rowing world is rowing a concept 2 to rowing on water as top roping is to leading?

Luckily where I live at the moment has a rowing club pretty much opposite, hopefully they can speak better English than I can German.
Lusk 01 Apr 2015
In reply to wushu:

I always used to go for 30 minutes endurance sessions (for me!)(on 10 ), keeping it purely aerobic.
I was always happy getting close to 7000m.
Must start again!
 Shani 01 Apr 2015
In reply to wushu:

Check out the Oneill Test on the Concept 2 site. It's a great test to engage with periodically.
 stewieatb 01 Apr 2015
In reply to The Green Giant:

> Is shaving a minute and 20 seconds off a 2000m time really a viable goal?

> In the rowing world is rowing a concept 2 to rowing on water as top roping is to leading?

> Luckily where I live at the moment has a rowing club pretty much opposite, hopefully they can speak better English than I can German.

Most of the world record holders on the ergs are national team athletes who also have world titles and Olympic medals on the water, and train full time. For a guy your size, training with a good club, getting under 6 minutes is achievable within a couple of years.

Yes, the ergs are primarily a training tool for rowers - it allows one to work on certain aspects of the stroke (efficient drive, rhythm, muscle memory) and improve as an athlete (cardiovascular and muscular training) without having to worry about the additional complications of doing it all in a difficult to balance racing shell on the water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...