UKC

auchinstarry quarry...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Willismorris 02 Apr 2015
just to let anyone who cares know, I took a wet suit and a mask today and cleared the water below mascarade buttress (surface tension ect). Remove a large rock fall sign, a wheel barrow, decking chairs and all the log debris and crap under the water. (Wanted it cleared so I didn't impale myself if I fell of surface tension!) rubbish has been taken to the carpark and left by the bins, hopefully the council will remove it asap. It was all a waste as I managed the lead but it's good to know its all clear for future ascents! Let's keep the place clean!
 Stevie989 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Willismorris:

What we all want to know is how much gear did you find and can I have my red Torque nut that was dropped in the water last summer? ta!
 aln 02 Apr 2015
Mate, you're an absolute hero! I've done a bit of cleaning there over the years but nothing as impressive as that. If I ever meet you in a pub the beers are on me.
And well done on the lead.
Post edited at 22:13
 kwoods 02 Apr 2015

WHHATT!! This could almost be written on the 1st. Seriously tho - dedication. Collective thanks.

I'll have my mates silver/yellow screwgate my brother chucked in the water in 2011

Nice one
 euanryan 02 Apr 2015

I got cold just watching... footage soon!
OP Willismorris 02 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:
Might have to take you up on that offer..

Cheers though...someone had to do it!

will possibly go back to see if more can be done when the waters a little warmer, if you're interested heres a blog and video of the day and the send:

https://willismorris.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/surface-tension-e56b/
 Mike-W-99 02 Apr 2015

Always enjoyed starry despite the obvious distractions, thanks for sharing. No commentary from the local youth, always makes you concentrate (Mr, your gonna fall!).
Would be up for a cleanup, chances of getting the anglers involved(slim?) The local chipper is excellent if anyone needs an incentive!
 euanryan 03 Apr 2015

A short clip... -
vimeo.com/123984363
 m dunn 03 Apr 2015
In reply to euanryan:

Very good; enjoyed that.
 JLS 03 Apr 2015

Time to reconstitute the Auchinstarry cliff diving championships then.
I expect it could be run off during the same weekend as this year's Auchinstarry DWS festival.
 Fraser 03 Apr 2015

Fine effort, both the clean-up and the lead!

Out of curiosity, how deep is the water below ST?
 Heike 03 Apr 2015
You didn't find a whole set of nuts which I dropped from this climb many years ago? Good effort, hope you don't get any nasty diseases!

OP Willismorris 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Fraser:
varies from 5-20ft...just gotta land in the right spot!
 Milesy 03 Apr 2015
Good stuff. I don't usually go to the quarry till April time and spend the summer cleaning up the crag. Can't wait to get back again. Don't care what anyone says it's my favourite place in the central belt.
 Milesy 03 Apr 2015

The leeches in the water are wee buggers by the way. It's infested with them.
 Fraser 04 Apr 2015

Cheers for that, but kind of tricky to adjust your landing zone mid-flight! Presumably deeper further out? Well done again on the lead.
 Dr Toph 04 Apr 2015

Top effort!
Nice one for the clearout, and good work on the lead. Great vid.
Think its going to inspire more folk to give it a go now. And quite right, its a top route.
 Heike 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Heike:

Oh sorry, I didn't see that you said Surface Tension, I thought Red Lead.....that's where I lost my set of nuts...
 aln 06 Apr 2015

Thinking on this.. I've applauded your efforts but I wonder what will happen to the detritus you salvaged. Did you take it to a council dump, arrange a pick up, or leave it by the bin in the video? If the latter then there's a good chance it's back in the water by now.
 PPP 07 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

I've been there yesterday, the chair and the sign were still there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...