UKC

Action video cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob 03 Apr 2015
With an annual event approaching I'm looking at suggestions for pressies.

I know there's the GoPro series and the SJ4000, does anyone have the SJ5000 (or plus)? I know the 5000+ can do 60fps @ 1080p

The usual questions really - how do they compare? Is one model easier to use "on the go" than others? Battery life and spares/charging? Real life usage, accessories (though I imagine that most are GoPro compatible).
 rallymania 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

what's the budget?

gopro's range in price from €140 to over €500. you can get the silver 3+ at a reasonable price with a little shopping around. you might well get a camera from other companies that are just as good and cheaper. but the infrastructure for Gopro is pretty well covered, a ton of different mounts and acecssories, batteries, software information and advice etc etc. the "3" got a lot of criticisum for being soft and with terrible firmware issues, i have the silver 3+ which i really can't fault. and the 4 is getting good feedback from what i've seen.

found this link just now that might be helpful?

http://action-camcorders-review.toptenreviews.com/

no idea who it's by or what their angle is

Indy 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

Looking at some footage from the SJ5000 can't say I was that impressed at all. Settings can only be changed via an Android/iOS app which is apparently more flakey than a stale Mr Kippling mille feuille . Amazon seem to suggest a price of £100.

You don't say what its going to be used for but if you want something more fully featured but don't want to pay a go pro market leader premium I can really recommend the Garmin Virb Elite with GPS and sensor integration. I bought mine for £125 but currently available for about £150 RRP £360.
OP Bob 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Indy:

Ah, forgot the usage bit

Main use would be for mountain biking - touring rather than downhill aren't I rad? type stuff. So both on-board footage and shots of riders going past - here's an example: http://ianbarrington.com/2014/06/10/highland-trail-race-video/

Pricewise, £150 or so

Had forgotten about the Virb
 EddInaBox 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

For £150 pounds I would get two Mobius Action Cams plus memory cards and mounts and a waterproof case... In fact I did, but for a bit less.
 rallymania 03 Apr 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

just curious.. is there a chest mount for mobius?

i like the camera but i'm "bored" of helmet only footage and like to try and get different shot angles. that said if (sorry... when lol) i get a second action camera it'll probably be the mobius... seatpost mounted facing backwards for example might be quite good

what's the battery life like in real life (and spares?)

Indy 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

I'd say the Virb Elite with sensor linking was a no-brainer really but I don't have any experience of other action cams.
OP Bob 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Indy:

Gahhh! Analysis paralysis! Just when you think one make/model has the cool features you think you'll want but never use another make/model pops in to the frame.

rallymania: Andy from Embsay has Virbs (yes two) and uses one forward one rear facing. Here's one of his from last year's Cumbrian Cracker - vimeo.com/112735536 - I'm the one in the Skipton kit BTW.
 yorkshireman 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Indy:

> I'd say the Virb Elite with sensor linking was a no-brainer really but I don't have any experience of other action cams.

I've already got a Fenix2 and ANT+ HRM so have just ordered the Virb Elite - I was toying with the idea a while back and this thread reawakened the idea so after a quick re-read of the indepth review from DC Rainmaker I hit Amazon one-click this morning. Need to intercept the courier tomorrow before my wife finds out

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/garmin-depth-review.html

I'm quite keen on the still photography while out running - easy access and burst mode pictures while out on the trails - less fiddly than getting my iPhone out. The video stuff will be a bonus.

I've currently got the SJ4000 which is dirt cheap, but great for situations where you might lose it - here it was when I tested it with a harness mount for my dog. Certainly not going to rival GoPro quality video but its a good introduction to action cams if you don't want a huge outlay.

http://mountaintrailrunning.com/product-reviews/qumox-fetch-dog-harness-wit...

I'm expecting much better video quality with the Virb of course.
brora boyan 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Indy:

your wrong there about the settings....you just go into the menu of the camera and adjust .
brora boyan 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

check out this link http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/2/7/the-big-sj5000-action-camera-review.h...

i have the sj4000 and i love the camera,well worth getting .the sj5000 isnt quite there yet but it has got some new features that arent on the 4000,battery life is poor if you have the wifi on the whole time.heres a video of the sj4000 in action at 720p www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5w1FsdzD8
 EddInaBox 04 Apr 2015
In reply to rallymania:

> just curious.. is there a chest mount for mobius?

I haven't come across one, but I haven't looked, the Mobius has a standard ¼" threaded mount like traditional cameras and video cameras, so if there isn't one then there must be some adapter somewhere that could be used with a harness for one of the other cameras.

> what's the battery life like in real life (and spares?)

The most recent units have a higher capacity battery than mine, the current claimed run time is over two hours, but I can't vouch for that. No problem with spares, although it is easiest to order the less common things direct from one of the Chinese eBay sellers. There are now three lens options, normal, wide, and a new extra wide angle lens available (significant fish-eye effect though) so it is worth checking out clips on the web to work out which would suit you best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...