UKC

Robin's Nest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve John B 03 Apr 2015
Went down the allotment yesterday for the first time in months, and found what I think is a robin's nest in my shed. It's on some shelves just inside the shed door, didn't want to hang around freaking the poor thing out so I left them to it. I think it was a robin, its little head was only just peeking over the edge of the nest.

Question is, how long till I get my shed back? I'd rather leave them to it but my gardening stuff's all in there and I can't put off digging forever (unfortunately). And how are the babies going to learn to fly indoors?
 Bob 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve John B:

From the RSPB site:

The cup nest, built by the female alone, is made of dead leaves and moss, lined with hair. Courtship feeding is a very prominent activity, and the male can supply over a third of his mate's food intake during nest building and egg laying.

This extra food is important and can make a difference to the clutch size, particularly since a complete clutch represents about 90% of the females total body weight. Normal clutch size is 4-6, with one egg laid each day, usually early in the morning.

The birds are very sensitive to any disturbance during the nest building and egg laying, and will easily desert the nest if they think that the nest has been discovered. Unless the birds are used to people, it is best to stay clear of the immediate vicinity of the nest until the incubation starts.

Once the clutch is complete, incubation is by the female alone for 13 days. The shells of the hatched eggs are removed immediately from the nest by the female, who sometimes eats part of them for extra calcium.

The chicks hatch naked, and are totally dependent on their parents for food and warmth. Both parents look after the nestlings. Feather growth will become evident with the appearance of quills at three days of age. By five days the eyes start to open and they are completely open by eight days.

By this time, rows of feathers will start to appear on backs and flanks. The body is more or less feathered by 10 days. Flight feathers are the last to grow, and as the chicks fledge at 14 days, they will not be able to fly for another couple of days.

I had some blackbirds in the back of the shed last spring, I just stayed as far away from them as I could but took the odd peek, i seem to remember the nest was empty in about 3 weeks.

If it's a robin the incubation period is 12-15 days, and the chicks fledge a further 12-15 days later, so about a month between starting to incubate and the chicks flying.
 Queenie 03 Apr 2015

Are you friendly with other allotment people? If so they'd probably be happy for your tools to live in their shed for a bit, or for you to have a key to borrow theirs. If locking up your shed is a concern, can you make a discreet hole so they can gain access when it's closed, just for the duration?
OP Steve John B 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> If it's a robin the incubation period is 12-15 days, and the chicks fledge a further 12-15 days later, so about a month between starting to incubate and the chicks flying.

Thanks - But when does the incubation period start? Presumably if there's a bird in the nest they're either about to lay or already have.
 Billhook 03 Apr 2015

Once she's been sitting for a while she'll be reluctant to desert the eggs and rarely the young. She'll tolerate your visits.
In reply to Queenie:

> Are you friendly with other allotment people?

A few of them, but no-one's really around at the moment and haven't all got sheds.

> If locking up your shed is a concern, can you make a discreet hole so they can gain access when it's closed, just for the duration?

The shed windows are ill-fitting plastic, I assume the birds got in that way and could get out again, or there might be a gap in the eaves. I haven't been there in months so they didn't get in the door.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Once she's been sitting for a while she'll be reluctant to desert the eggs and rarely the young. She'll tolerate your visits.

How very gracious of her

Thanks all.
 marsbar 03 Apr 2015

My dad had a tame robin in his garden.
 marsbar 03 Apr 2015
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/901/t/38954.aspx

Lovely story about the robin fetching their tame human to move a cat!!!
In reply to marsbar:

> My dad had a tame robin in his garden.

For some reason I was expecting a punchline when I read that!

They are friendly things, got followed for well over a mile by one in the hills above Keswick. Think it was expecting sarnies or something...
 marsbar 03 Apr 2015

They have us well trained
 Kimono 03 Apr 2015

i thought we were back to the 70's sitcom with the one-armed oirish guy for a moment there
 Cog 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> She'll tolerate your visits.

Robins are male, wrens are female.
 Billhook 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Cog:

Don't be sexist!!
 LeeWood 03 Apr 2015

If you want to get further bonded with robins and gardening you should read The Secret Garden - it was my lad's last bedtime story. Even more poignant if you have a weakness for yorkshire dialect.
In reply to Cog:

> Robins are male, wrens are female.

Tits?
In reply to LeeWood:

> If you want to get further bonded with robins and gardening you should read The Secret Garden - it was my lad's last bedtime story. Even more poignant if you have a weakness for yorkshire dialect.

Will give that a go in a few years (son is coming up for 2, currently into motorbikes, lorries, babies and mummies - in that order).

I prefer a nasal Stockport accent myself
 LeeWood 04 Apr 2015

... then you might have to wait quite a few years; we tried to get going at 7yrs old but no-go - he's now 10.
OP Steve John B 04 Apr 2015

Had a quick peek this afternoon, ms robin still there, very nice.
 kipper12 05 Apr 2015
I think ours have deserted, sadly. They were building in the ivy, but the neighbours cat took a close interest before I shooed it away. I've not seen them for a couple of days now. Shame, as the nose is complete. I'd rather them move on before they start laying though.
OP Steve John B 06 Apr 2015
In reply to kipper12:

What is "nose"??

Another peek today, no robin but some mini eggs in the nest (not very chocolatey though). Momma showed up again later. I've started talking to her, think I've finally lost the plot...
 Billhook 06 Apr 2015

Just a reminder that they are more likely to desert in the first few days after laying. The closer the eggs come to hatching the less likely to desert. They won't mind you putting them off the nest but obviously if you hang around too long at the start they'll may well be off the nest long enough for the eggs to end up getting too cold to hatch.

Keep us posted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...