UKC

Scotlands only unclimbable gully on Arran?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 04 Apr 2015
Talking elsewhere about climbing on the isle of Arran got me thinking. Gully A on North facing Cir Mhor's face has this very obvious vertical gully as yet unclimbed. It has had visits from a number of climbers to my knowledge but all backing off without an attempt. I don't know of any others? So is this Scotland's only unclimbable gully?
Its vertical granite which is capped with a blocked chock stone roof and does not get a great deal of moisture to build up ice. Well as far as I can see from a distance through the years.

Does anyone know of any others?
 TobyA 04 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

There is very obvious square cut gully/chimney on the flanks of the (IIRC) most easterly peak on the Aonoch Eagach ridge. There is a huge Y shaped gully/colouir and it goes straight above the where the branches of the Y meet. I heard back in the 90s people had tried it but never got it up it. Don't think I've heard of it being climbed since then. It's low and south facing so I guess its not often in good winter nick. It also sort of just fades out into the hillside above, but still it's a bloomin' obvious line you can see from most points on the three sisters side of Glencoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...