UKC

VIDEO: Leaning Tower with Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This video is pretty late, but better late than never I suppose?

In August 2014, some keen-bean punters and Andy Kirkpatrick (The Big Wall Harpoon) set off on a fast ascent of the Leaning Tower in Yosemite. Fast climbing, steep pitches, plenty of tangled rope and 11 hours 30 mins later, they topped out!

vimeo.com/121118093

This video shows a few snippets of one of the biggest highlights of our climbing trip and an unforgettable experience! Andy (K) started the leading early in the morning, handing over the lead high on the wall and leaving it up to the two clumsy caffeine-fuelled students to take it to the top.

If you were interested by the video, please checkout the write-up on our blog:

http://stefanandcherry.com/2014/09/27/captain-kirk-and-the-one-day-enterpri...

http://stefanandcherry.com/2015/03/27/captain-kirkpatrick-and-the-one-day-e...

Mark Collins 08 Apr 2015
In reply to AndrewJamesCherry:

Cool, thanks for sharing. I reckon I might give that route a go if I ever go back, looks like its out of the sun for at least some of the day and reasonable hauling.
 Mick Ward 08 Apr 2015
In reply to AndrewJamesCherry:

That's a lovely video and write-up. I've often wondered how I'd get on big walling... getting ropes tangled, everything in a mess, dropping stuff (oops!), getting scared shitless at the exposure (I guess you just get used to it), getting so knackered you don't know what you're doing. Oddly the actual climbing seems the least intimidating bit! Your accounts beautifully convey this world. I think the most important bit is at the end of the write-up, the self-confidence that this has given you, the fact that Andy K was prepared to give you a chance - and great on him for so doing.

More than 40 years ago, after years of folk telling me I was crap, I spent a day climbing with a guy called Jim Erickson. He was so reclusive he wouldn't even tell me his surname! At the time, he was one of the best climbers in the US, (FFA of The Naked Edge etc). He was the first person to believe in me. It made a huge difference. My standard went from HVS to E3 in a few weeks.

Courtesy of Andy K, this will probably be a pivotal day in your climbing careers. And you, in turn, will go on to inspire others. So many routes that people couldn't imagine doing will get done.

Good luck!

Mick

In reply to Mick Ward:

@ Mark Collins - The hauling is indeed pretty reasonable! We were hauling quite a light load, however even a heavy load would be much easier to haul through space than grinding its way up a slab! It would require lots of lower-outs though (easily done). A fantastic 'shorter' route and I'd certainly recommend it.

@ Mick Ward - Thank you very much for your comments! That's a very accurate description of big walling to be honest, and certainly how we felt a lot of the time! But the time and the effort is worth it for the rare moments where you feel confident, strong and excited! (Usually after you've topped out to be honest)

It certainly was a pivotal point - climbing with Andy. The entire trip has been a milestone in both of our lives. Climbing is obviously hugely affected by your confidence - and that in turn is affected by other peoples confidence in you! I think it makes us try harder, and trying harder often leads to doing things.

Glad you enjoyed it anyways!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...