UKC

Shirts off for power....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mutl3y 10 Apr 2015
...does it actually work?

I tried it this evening for the first time in years but really didn't feel the benefit. What are others' experiences?
 Stevie989 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

In Glasgow it's 'taps aff fur power'
In reply to Mutl3y:

I once met a guy who apparently lost a nipple thrutching up some very traditional gritstone chimney without a top on. Kind of put me off ever trying it.
 David Alcock 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Nipple rings. Provide extra spice. And you can hang emergency kit off them when doing trad.
 David Alcock 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Actually, you just made me remember a day in 88 when I was only wearing shorts and some sadistic old bastard pointed me at an off-width on Haytor.
Removed User 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

Absolutely, even better if there is an audience, particularly ladies... At least for me, but whatever floats your boat for others.

Note. For the shirt off thing to work properly the trousers worn should be fairly low on the hips, showing about 1.5" - 2" of waistband of a name brand boxer short, or in my case CAC boxers. The amusement effect is helped by the fact my buddies can say, "you've got cack on your boxers!"
HTH.
 nniff 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

Peapod in shorts.

Power spectacularly absent.

ditto skin.
 NorthernGrit 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

You obviously weren't wearing a beanie hat. While taking the shirt off would certainly have catalysed power production, this would have all been immediately hemorrhaged from the crown of your head due to lack of cover.
 chris fox 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

I've seen a pic of a fiend in the gym with no top on and the belayer is wearing a down jacket !!!
 JLS 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

What is the optomum number of t-shirts to wear for climbing?
If one is better than zero then perhaps perhaps two is better than 1?

If you continue the thought experiment by the time you get to 100 you start to see that adding t-shirts is actually counter productive. You then start subtracting t-shirts. You find 50 is better than 100, 25 is better than 50 and continuing the logic you soon reach the unavoidable truth... Taps aff = Power.
 Wsdconst 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

It work much better if you switch it up and leave your top on but take your pants off, adds more nuts to your rack
 rubben 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:

I think a few years ago some scientists from Boulder Colorado did some extensive research into the power gains from climbing "tops off".

The official statistics were lost, but they estimated that it gave you an extra 60% more power.
In reply to rubben:

> The official statistics were lost, but they estimated that it gave you an extra 60% more power.

Did they take midges into account?

krikoman 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Mutl3y:
nice try!
2/10

I didn't realise numbers are ALL upper case!!
 goose299 13 Apr 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

midges or midgets??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...