UKC

Harrison's Warden?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 13 Apr 2015
The sun has brought out lots or first timers and newbies to Harrisons and with it poor belay setting up practices, mostly failing to extend the slings over the top of the rocks. I've had friendly words with several "offenders", and found that so long as you do it tactfully and in a friendly way it's been well received and the problem corrected.

But it got me thinking back to the good old days when Terry was warden and he was a regular friendly presence walking along chatting to people and putting them straight, particularly at busy times - weekends and bank holidays. We haven't had wardening of this quality for many years, and I don't think there currently is a warden? Does any one know if there plans with the new car parking/toilet block improvements in hand to recruit a warden for the rocks?

Also there is a need for a warden to periodically patrol the rocks when they are wet to disuade people from climbing them when they are at increased risk of damage. I've seen this a couple of times when I've been out walking with the rocks clearly in poor condition (some of the worst offenders of this practice are groups under instruction. Their climbing instructors should know better and are setting a bad example to their clients).
Removed User 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Sometthing like this is desperately needed. The issue, I assume, is funding. I have proposed, in the past, a charge to climb at Harrison's & SF (and any other crags where agreement could be reached with the landowner). Someone could then monitor behaviour while collecting the money. I am informed, however, that the designation as CROW land prevents this. If true ( and I'm sure that commercial activity is not banned on CROW land) the BMC have probably acheived the amazing feat of being the first climbing organisation to oversee the destruction of a whole crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...