UKC

Forestry plantation that formed an image?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 20 Apr 2015
I seem to remember reading on UKC a fair while back about a forestry plantation somewhere in Scotland that was deliberately laid out in the form of an image of some kind - a royal coat of arms of something like that. Am I completely deluded, or does/did the thing really exist?
 Steve Perry 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

The famous one is heading up the M6 in The Lakes where a farmer planted a love heart shaped set of trees for his new bride. Clearly seen on the east of the carriageway when passing through.
 jonny taylor 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:
Love heart? The famous one I know is a little further north on the M74, and is a rather cruder shape...
Post edited at 16:47
 Steve nevers 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

There found one in Germany in the 80's in the form of a swastika. Got chopped down rapidly.
 Flinticus 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:
Maybe: on the M74 there's a forest which looks like a giant cock and balls. We always look out for it on our return journey to Scotland.

Its not just our imagination: here's a link http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-21483-adam_gnade_journey_to_the_cock_and...

Not as classy as a coat of arms (unless that is someone's coat of arms)
Post edited at 16:48
 summo 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

There is a runner carrying an Olympic torch on the hillside opposite Hafjell (Lillehammer), only difference is it's the other way around ie. treeless within the shape.
 Chris the Tall 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

The plantation in the Burbage Valley was supposed to be a map of Great Britain, but not a very good one, and it's being dug up as we speak.

A few years back someone discovered some woodland in Germany that still had a swastika visible from the air (and possibly only in the autumn)

Steve nevers 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> A few years back someone discovered some woodland in Germany that still had a swastika visible from the air (and possibly only in the autumn)

See my previous post.
 Steve Perry 20 Apr 2015
In reply to jonny taylor: Yeah love heart and its in The Lakes area. The love heart stands out clearer from higher ground I.e the Lakeland hills looking across the motorway to the Howgills side but if you know where it is you can make it out in passing.
They did a story on it in a Sunday magazine a few years ago, that's when I became aware of it.

thedatastream 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, the Cock and Balls on the M74 is a classic
 Steve Perry 20 Apr 2015
In reply to thedatastream:

There was(is?) two side by side that spelled IT on the M74.
 Mike Conlon 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

I believe some Canadian Lumberjacks worked the Marr Lodge Estate forests around the Second World War. They either planted or cut down an area to make out the shape of a Maple Leaf as a lasting tribute.
 Brownie 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

try this one

search for 57 10'31.11N 2 52'48.07W on Google maps - then zoom in a lot and look at it upside down!

enjoy
 Timmd 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

> Maybe: on the M74 there's a forest which looks like a giant cock and balls. We always look out for it on our return journey to Scotland.

> Not as classy as a coat of arms (unless that is someone's coat of arms)

That's a funny bit of writing.
 aln 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks more like a mushroom.
 Timmd 20 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:
It's 'a cock and bowwwls' okay?
Post edited at 22:47
 m dunn 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

Battle layout from Waterloo in forestry to south of Loch Venachar. May have been felled by now ...
 DaveHK 21 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
>
> Looks more like a mushroom.

Depends on your frame of reference I guess.
 Wingnut 21 Apr 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Definitely a cock and balls. One of the highlights of the annual slog up to Scotland, as a certain Captain Paranoia of this parish will testify.

(Although admittedly, having been on the motorway since Brum, we were ready to laugh at anything ...)
 deepsoup 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> The plantation in the Burbage Valley was supposed to be a map of Great Britain, but not a very good one, and it's being dug up as we speak.

It wasn't that bad, just missing a bit in the SW. I heard it was intended to be better, but Devon and Cornwall had to be abandoned when bits of unexploded ordnance started turning up as they were planting there.
 Wingnut 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

There's also a giant "ER" on a hill overlooking Chatsworth.
 alan moore 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

Also a giant ER on the Doward above the A40 as you're leaving Monmouth; coronation or something...
 Trangia 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

> There found one in Germany in the 80's in the form of a swastika. Got chopped down rapidly.

There is rumour that Rolf Gardiner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Gardiner the father of the conductor John Elliot Gadiner cut his forests on the Wiltshire/Dorset borders in the shape of a swastika during WW2, but I suspect this was unfounded because he would have been arrested.
 Fat Bumbly2 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia: Maybe he was a good Daily Mail reader and planted / cut it in the 1930s.

There is a scary hooded man with firey eyes that comes out around Halloween in Peeblesshire

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1562658

JohnnyW 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

Unfortunately, the M74 one was what immediately sprung to mind with me too.
 Pete Houghton 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:
A few years ago I spent the summer doing backstage catering at various music festivals up and down the country, and at some point between T in the Park and Latitude - so, somewhere between Scotland and England, don't ask me where - when the tour bus pulled over to fill us with tea and bacon, on a distant hillside I saw a forest planted in the shape of a knob and ballsack. It was pretty funny at the time.

When I have a forest, I'm definitely planting it into a rude shape.

(edit - having now read the thread... yep, another M74 sighting!)
Post edited at 10:26
 Deri Jones 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin W:

There's a plantation on the side of the Wye Valley that spells out ER planted in 1953 (or at any rate, used to be, haven't been past for years). You could see it off the A40 heading up from Monmouth towards the M50:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyastone_Leys
OP Martin W 22 Apr 2015
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That one visible from the M74 seems to catch a lot of people's eye - though I've never noticed it myself! However, it's definitely not the one I recall being discussed previously (perhaps not actually on UKC, though).

My own researches have turned up a place in upper Moffat Dale called "Emblem Brae", which is a suggestive name. There does seem to be a rather strangely-shaped forestry plantation on the SE side of the valley which, if you screw your eyes up a bit, you could almost convince yourself might once have been a crest or coat of arms of some kind. It's at grid reference NT 17722 13935 - although unfortunately the OS aerial photograph has it in deep shadow. It's also visible on Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/pwdwoc4

I've not yet managed to find out anything useful about the name or the history of Emblem Brae. Am I deluding myself that this could be what I remember reading about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...