UKC

Diesel Injectors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 26 Apr 2015
Can anyone please enlighten me as to how many injectors my Freelander will have? Sorry if I sound thick but my mechanic neighbour has just said that problems I've had lately MIGHT be down to the injectors needing replacement(worst case scenario) and I'm just wondering how much I might have to shell out.
OP mypyrex 26 Apr 2015
Bump
 George Fisher 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

One per cylinder in normal I think. Most likely 4 in total but you only need replace faulty ones not a whole set.
 timjones 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> Can anyone please enlighten me as to how many injectors my Freelander will have? Sorry if I sound thick but my mechanic neighbour has just said that problems I've had lately MIGHT be down to the injectors needing replacement(worst case scenario) and I'm just wondering how much I might have to shell out.

You'll need to tell us more, what engine has it got?
OP mypyrex 26 Apr 2015
In reply to timjones:

2 litre td
Removed User 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

4, what problems has it got?
OP mypyrex 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

> 4, what problems has it got?

Poor "tick-over", bit too much smoke when cold, driving along this morning at about 70 suddenly lost power as if somebody had suddenly switched off the ignition.

Neighbour, who is a mechanic, says injectors are worst case scenario.
Removed User 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

What year is it, it do you know if it's the BMW or Rover engine?
Rigid Raider 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

It's less likely to be the injectors, which are designed to soldier on for huge mileages, and more likely to be one of the several sensors that feed information to the engine management syetem, especially if the problem suddenly worsened as you describe.
OP mypyrex 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> It's less likely to be the injectors, which are designed to soldier on for huge mileages, and more likely to be one of the several sensors that feed information to the engine management syetem, especially if the problem suddenly worsened as you describe.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is relatively minor. As I said, neighbour cited injectors as the worst case scenario. So, at worst £5-£600.
Rigid Raider 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

If it's a sensor you might be able to get one for a few quid from a scrapper. There are plenty of breakers who advertise onlne.
 Ciro 26 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

First off, if you have time before you take it to a garage, and your car has a OBD2 diagnostics port (unless it's ancient, it should have), have a look on flea bay for an OBD2 scanner - if it's a faulty sensor this should be logged. They cost about £15, but a garage is going to charge you substantially more than that to plug one in and read off the code.

The software is supposed to be expensive, so whatever you do, don't buy one that comes with a CD of cracked software like the one I got (but obviously didn't use).

In reply to mypyrex:

Regards plugging a code scanner into the diagnostics port, I think you'd be very lucky to get any info out. Landrivers and Jaguars especially earlier models are very picky with which scanners they'll comunicate with as they tend to require a vin number indentification packet in the communication protocols and with out this the scanners returns the message cannot connect with vehicle. I have a 2001 freelander and the only scanner I could get to communicate with it is a snap on scanner which cost 6k new the usual £200 scanner wouldn't comunicate. I haven't tried it but getting some software on a laptop and using a lead with USB maybe be the best value for money way of doing it. It seems also that the fault codes get embedded further onto the ecu that usual also and sometimes a boost pack or battery charger is needed to keep the ecu circuit voltage about 12.75v when reading or writing onto ecu.

I would be surprised if a sudden loss of power was down to injectors it may be but they tend to block up one by one and it feels a bit more like a misfire on a petrol car and it all gets lumpy. Sudden loss of power and smoke sounds like turbo or wastegate actuator or control to me, that's the first place I'd be looking check the rubber hose is attached to the vacuum can on the actuator, check the turbo pipes especially the top one which comes out of the intercooler and into the inlet manifold for splits, and take the hose off the end of the turbo compressor cover and feel for the nut at the end of the Turbine shaft. If there is an excess of oil there (note some oil is always there) but more importantly check for end float up and down and side to side in the turbine shaft and if you can feel play the turbo cartridge requires replacing, a relatively simple job if you know a decent mechanic. If this all checks out I'd have a look at the egr valve and get a scanner plugged to read for codes, and possibly have a look at the fuel pump timing belt.

This above info assumes for rover di engine but turbo failure test same across all models

If it does require a turbo cartridge and its 2.0 di it will have a Garrett GT1549s on it, you can get these on eBay from about 130 but they tend to be balanced in China so no return if unit fails. You can get a new 12 month garenteed unit exchanged with your old one for about 150 plus fitting
Post edited at 06:56
Removed User 27 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

All of the above. Some Rover diesel engines suffered from the wiring to number 1 injector chafing through and causing odd ECU error codes, so it's worth checking that too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...