UKC

Rainy days in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Fisher 28 Apr 2015
Family Fisher are heading to the Lakes Fri-Tues for a break. Staying in Borrowdale, fairly familiar with the surroundings.

The weather looks okay on Sat and Sun but not too great Mon, Tues. we'll grab as much outdoor time as poss but looking for some wet weather ideas with a 2yr old in tow. Don't mind driving about a bit.

Also any suggestions for walks up to 5-6 miles that aren't to hard with a baby carrier on my back? It would be nice to get some decent views without hitting the summits.

Cheers, G
 Chris the Tall 28 Apr 2015
In reply to George Fisher:

> Also any suggestions for walks up to 5-6 miles that aren't to hard with a baby carrier on my back? It would be nice to get some decent views without hitting the summits.

Loads of great easy walks around Borrowdale - Ashness Bridge and Watenlath, Castle Crag and the Jaws of Borrowdale, circuit of Derwentwater. If you do a search you'll find loads of links to maps etc, or you could pop into the big walking shop in Keswick, called George Fisher !!!

wercat 28 Apr 2015
Nice and quiet around Mungrisedale and lots of miners tracks to follow, a bit out of Borrowdale but not far away. Similarly the track that runs up the valley near Causey Pike. Circuit of Buttermere is a good walk with a back carrier and not far away and has water and stones to play with, not that they are short in Borrowdale!.
Post edited at 16:56
OP George Fisher 28 Apr 2015
In reply to wercat:

Water and stones!! Two of Fisher Jr's favourite things.
 ByEek 28 Apr 2015

The aquarium at Lakeside is ok especially if combined with a boat trip there, but be prepared to be fleeced!

wet weather ideas

Visit the George Fishers outdoor shop....
OP George Fisher 28 Apr 2015
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

Yes, yes, i know there's a shop with my name above the door. ive even been forced to stand under the sign and have my photo taken. Its not exactly going to fill an afternoon looking at overpriced gear though... I might give needlesports a look.
 pec 28 Apr 2015

I've often wondered how long it would have to rain for before I visited the Pencil museum in Keswick?
 shantaram 28 Apr 2015
In reply to pec:

I live in Keswick and it was after 8 years living here and a seriously wet weekend with my parents visiting before I visited the pencil museum. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but we all left seriously underwhelmed. I'll never go back again, ever. Might be OK for a 2 year old though. The 'puzzling place' in the town centre is way more fun http://www.puzzlingplace.co.uk Going to look for Millican Daltons cave in Borrowdale is worthwhile as well.

There is a lot of uncertainty about the weather for this weekend. It's only Tuesday now. You never know - it could be a nice weather weekend. I am very sceptical about UK long term weather forecasts.
 marsbar 29 Apr 2015
In reply to shantaram:

I went to the pencil museum as a small child and I enjoyed it.
 cander 29 Apr 2015
In reply to pec:

55 years if I'm anything to go by - theres a pub between you and the pencil museum!
 marsbar 29 Apr 2015

Rheged has a soft play area and various stuff to wander around. Keswick has a nice swimming pool.
 iksander 29 Apr 2015

Ravenglass train is quite pleasant, you can hop on and off which makes for a family friendly walk with little uns
OP George Fisher 29 Apr 2015
In reply to iksander:

Bingo, Trains, Little Fish's 3rd favorite thing.

Thanks all.
 tmawer 29 Apr 2015

A swim in the wave pool at Keswick, followed by a walk along the disused railway line as its fairly sheltered and the river is accessible too.
 Clarence 29 Apr 2015
In reply to pec:

> I've often wondered how long it would have to rain for before I visited the Pencil museum in Keswick?

The last time I went to the Pencil Museum the woman on the counter said "are you sober this time or do we have to listen to a full hour of Walking In The Air again?"

I have no memory of this previous event.
 mike123 29 Apr 2015
If it's really pishing it down King Kong have a kids hard play area upstairs our 2 year old loves it although took him a couple of visits to go in on his own. Without trying to spoil it, the dragon has a couple of tricks that our 2 year found quite scary first time around .
 mike123 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Clarence:
Sounds like a withnail quote. Made me laugh.
 cander 29 Apr 2015
In reply to iksander:

Another thumbs up for Laal Ratty, we took our disabled grandson for a trip and they couldn't have been more helpful. Great views with a nice cafe at the end.
 cander 29 Apr 2015
Try http://www.lakesaquarium.co.uk/

Its on the shores of Windermere - you can get to it using the Hawkshead ferry, adds something to the journey

Don't forget Carlisle Castle and Tullie house museum in Carlisle - not too far to travel.

There's clip and climb at Maryport and another aquarium.

Beacon centre in Whitehaven for the rum trade exibition.

Sellafield for the nukes are good exibition.

The Lakes distillery at the bottom of Bassenthwaite
Post edited at 12:19
 Jim Hamilton 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> circuit of Derwentwater.

combined with the launch makes for a good trip with kids, walking along the west shore to the Lodore jetty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...