UKC

HDR on compacts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malcolm.harris 28 Apr 2015

Looking to buy a new compact camera for climbing/hill days (Sony rx100 seems to be everyone's favorite).

A friend of mine has an HDR function on his samsung phone which has a fantastic effect, particularly on the kinds of photos climbers and hillgoers often take in the UK- moody skies and dark foregrounds. It essentially takes the same photo at multiple exposures and then merges them together, correcting for over & under exposed areas.

Is there any way to achieve this with a compact- is it not part of standard programming by now? The 'functionality' lists in online adverts/ reviews don't seem to feature it.

Not going to carry a tripod and then merge the photos manually now that I've seen how quick it can be done on a smartphone!

Malcolm
Post edited at 17:58
 PPP 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malcolm.harris:

Well, to make a true HDR you need a number of shots to be taken. In some cases, shooting to RAW and adjusting a single file seems to be enough if you don't want that over-saturated HDR effect. Whether the camera itself or you during post-process merge the files, it is up to you. I don't want the camera to merge them as I might use different software to get HDRs the way I want them to look like.

It looks like that RX100 has HDR feature which allows to merge the files in the camera: youtube.com/watch?v=YuvVZQbvy0g& (see the comments below, too).
 d_b 28 Apr 2015
In reply to PPP:

The problem I have with in camera HDR is that all the ones I have seen merge and tonemap in one go, throwing away the hdr information.

If they saved something like an openEXR then I would find them a lot more interesting.
 Dan Arkle 28 Apr 2015

The rx100 has an hdr type function. I never use it and regard it as pretty poor.

Far more annoyingly, it doesn't allow you to produce a decent set of bracketed images (it allows bracketing but not with enough range). So is not very good for hdr.

On the positive side, it does have a great sensor with good dynamic range, so hdr is needed less often.
 Robert Durran 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> The rx100 has an hdr type function. I never use it and regard it as pretty poor.

I've played around with the RX100 HDR type function and quite liked some of the results.

My Canon Powershot S95 has an HDR function, but it only works with a tripod. It will also bracket by a stop either side, in RAW, which I can merge in Photoshop without having used a tripod. The results aren't as freaky as the HDR I've seen on Flickr, probably needs a larger bracketing range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...