UKC

male suicide study.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
My missis is studying the effects of masculinity perceptions and the link between male suicide. This survey takes 10 minutes. Appreciate some of the questions are akward and a bit strange. But it is a worthwhile cause as the results may help those who need it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J6RNSS5

Many thanks to anyone who does this.
 toad 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

done. I was a bit unsure if by "help a suicidal person" she meant "help to commit suicide" or "help to not commit suicide" but happy to help
OP Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
In reply to toad:
Yeah it does have some questions you have to read twice to work out if your helping in a euthanasia situation or helping someone to not commit suicide through depression.
Many thanks.
Post edited at 13:11
robapplegate 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Done but could I suggest she changes the final question as I found it impossible to give a response.
OP Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
In reply to robapplegate:

Is that the which nation is more masculine?
 winhill 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

It's a shame they're only looking at Scotland, it should say so at the beginning really. Something along the lines of 'would you mind being the control while we look at someone else?'

One thing that always pisses me off about these surveys is the interminably long list of questions and the fact you can't see what the columns mean once you've answered a few, so you either memorise them or keep scrolling back up and back down again.

Have they been in touch with Dave MacLeod? He found that the English were to blame for the higher suicide rates in Scotland.
 Roadrunner5 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> It's basic theory is (and probably going to be alot of incoming for this) that scottish men are perceived to be the most masculine. And as a result alot of Scottish males age 18-30 are committing suicide because of not being able to live up to certain expectations.

> That are either generally considered to be "the norm"

> Or feel that the things that people may consider masculine (provider, protector ect)

> The suicide rates of that age group are consideribly less in the rest of the UK. If she finds a corilation between these things from her results il post a link for those who are interested.

I;d say south Wales has more issues with masculinity, ex-mining comunities, and hence the suicide and PEDS issues..

I'm not sure looking at such a high level you'd pull out anything measurable but maybe using the post code data you could pin point the other areas, such as the ex-mining, farming, industrial areas.

OP Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

The post code does help because where most worrying results are coming from are generally areas where there is problems with jobs, drugs, alcoholism.
 Ridge 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Yeah it does have some questions you have to read twice to work out if your helping in a euthanasia situation or helping someone to not commit suicide through depression.

I was thrown by the 'the suicide decision cannot be reversed' question. Rather depends if you' em jumped off the platform or not.
 aln 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Done. The questions about feelings and sex, and the ones about feelings towards expressing emotions with other men, seem to ask the same
question several times. And the last question is just stupid. I also found myself looking for a don't know /N/A option a few times.
 Derry 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

done, but shouldn't it have a sexual orientation question, as many of the 'feelings expressed towards men' answers will differ for gay or bisexual compared to heterosexual?
 Dr.S at work 29 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

question 14 really is pretty unsubtle - how can you differentiate between countries in this way?

Since this thread has cocked up the blinded nature of this question perhaps ask the mods to delete the replies which do so?

aln 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Derry:

Definitely.
 aln 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Since this thread has cocked up the blinded nature of this question perhaps ask the mods to delete the replies which do so?

Not my thread so maybe you'd like to do that?
 toad 29 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

, seem to ask the same question several times.

Think this is fairly standard practice, in order to ensure that replies are consistent and the respondent is answering consistently - at the least it weeds out the people who answer deliberately randomly to mess things up (it happens!)
robapplegate 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Thats the one, looks like a few others have had the same problem
 aln 29 Apr 2015
In reply to toad:

> , seem to ask the same question several times.

> Think this is fairly standard practice, in order to ensure that replies are consistent and the respondent is answering consistently

Makes sense.
interdit 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> It's basic theory is (and probably going to be alot of incoming for this) that scottish men are perceived to be the most masculine.

Well the last question is silly, and unanswerable for many people that have no opinion at all as to whether men from different nations are more masculine than other men. (ffs. I've never in my life found myself wondering how masculine I found anyone!)

I trust your other half will exclude all final answers from the survey, or at least all top-left to bottom-right answers?
ie. 'I don't have an opinion so I'm just going to click top left all the way down to bottom right'
Unless SurveyMonkey are randomising the order of the options (I don't think they do*), then there may be a large bias towards clicking top-left. ie. 'Scots are most manly'.
She may draw some erroneous confirmation of her theory from this data.

*I'd be interested if SurveyMonkey did actually allow random ordering of answer sets.
If not, your other half needs some really good stats skills to to eliminate systematic bias due to the questionnaire format. Many of the questions lacked a necessary 'ambivalent' / 'No opinion' option imo.
OP Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
In reply to interdit:
If you want to know more about it ask her. She is a good statistician. I know that much only because she has just been offered a job as one. She is a clever girl and I'm sure she would be happy to explain the process in more depth for you.
I believe there is contact details on the survey. Or failing thay just pm me.
Post edited at 22:45
OP Cerris90 29 Apr 2015
In reply to interdit:

Iv also messaged you with some details of what it is. So i don't blow the survey up anymore. Anyone else who would like any more info feel free to pm an I will do my best to pass the message along.
 Trevers 30 Apr 2015
In reply to toad:

> , seem to ask the same question several times.

> Think this is fairly standard practice, in order to ensure that replies are consistent and the respondent is answering consistently - at the least it weeds out the people who answer deliberately randomly to mess things up (it happens!)

I do this with commercial ones that pay me money to do them It'd take a pretty cold human to do that with this survey though
 Trangia 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:
I attempted to do the survey, but found No 14 impossible to answer!

Irritating because it meant I was unable to continue with the survey having spent quite a lot of time giving careful consideration to the previous questions!

Out of curiousity how can someone be "forced" to make such a choice when they hold no opinion on the subject? There should have been a "Don't know" option
Post edited at 07:10
 Derry 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:
for what its worth, I didn't find the masculinity of nationalities that difficult to answer. But perhaps because I'm not originally from the UK but have lived here (and Ireland) for almost 10 years and thus have no particular bias.
Post edited at 11:50
 summo 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

was going to bother, but then gave up at No.3 , what if you are cohabiting, not married or in a civil partner ship etc.. ? What if live overseas? Can't abide poorly thought out surveys.
 blurty 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

As others have said, I also found the last question fatuous.

It would have helped to have a 'scroll lock' on the headings as well

Interesting survey, I hope you post a link to the paper in due course.
OP Cerris90 30 Apr 2015
In reply to summo:
It's a questionnaire from a standardised, massively researched scale from a top researcher in his field working at an American university.
Also that is the usual format for that sort of question in most psych questionnaires anyway

If you thinks the Gender Role Conflict Scale is poorly thought out feel free to email Professor Jim O'Neill and tell him the over 300 pieces of research many of which have been published in top journals are useless.

And as for cohabitation stuff but not married. Under law you are classed as single. I'm not married but live with my missis yet on all forms concerning work I have to put single.

In regard to the people going on about question 14. constructive criticism is appreciated. And thoughts an views have been taken on board. And it will be mentioned in the final work. And extra stats work will be done to resolve this.
Post edited at 17:26
OP Cerris90 30 Apr 2015
In reply to blurty:

When she publishes the findings I will post it back on this link.
 alasdair19 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

done it seems worthwhile good luck
 Ridge 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> If you thinks the Gender Role Conflict Scale is poorly thought out feel free to email Professor Jim O'Neill and tell him the over 300 pieces of research many of which have been published in top journals are useless.

If the survey doesn't factor in the sexuality of the responder then it's massively flawed. Why would a homosexual male have issues with hugging men, for example?

> And as for cohabitation stuff but not married. Under law you are classed as single. I'm not married but live with my missis yet on all forms concerning work I have to put single.

I thought the aim of the survey was to look at the effects of masculinity perception on suicide rates? There will be a world of difference in the mental state of someone who is "classed as single under the law" but in a long term relationship, and the sad singleton sat in his underpants eating a cold tin of beans and despairing of ever finding a partner.

> In regard to the people going on about question 14. constructive criticism is appreciated. And thoughts an views have been taken on board. And it will be mentioned in the final work. And extra stats work will be done to resolve this.

In reply to Cerris90:

Done - odd and unbalanced questions but an important subject. I think suicides will be on the increase in Britain.
 summo 01 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:
> And as for cohabitation stuff but not married. Under law you are classed as single. I'm not married but live with my missis yet on all forms concerning work I have to put single.

Law is one thing, but in terms of mental stability, surely living in the same house with someone who is still your life partner, albeit not a legally married one, will greatly impact your mental well being? If anything I'd say it was one of the most critical factors?

Plus, living with someone who you are not contractually connected to potentially offers greater stability and value, as you are there through pure choice, 100% of time, not because you simply don't want to break some administrative, religious or legal bond. So you are probably more likely to share your highs and lows, plus have a more stable home life.

Given the huge number of people who live together, but don't have a legal bond, the survey is missing something. This might be because your American 'Expert', lives in a happy clapper state, has church funding or is a happy clapper where the concept of unmarried cohabitation can't be considered or even mentioned? I live in Sweden now and I estimate that 50% of the families we know are unmarried in any format, they have however shared a house with their kids for a decade plus, are they still single? Imagine after receiving church funding he did a survey and found co-habiting couples were more mentally stable than married. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=professor+jim+o%27neill+church

You might also wish to research what is called common law marriage, here it's called sambo, which is a shortened translated version of Same Abode. You can get legally binding sambo contracts, which tie together people's financial interests fairly, without any kind of legal marriage.
Post edited at 05:48
OP Cerris90 01 May 2015
In reply to summo:

That's the wrong person. Not the jim O'Neil. Also this point is moot because it's actually just a demographic question to check the population is representative. So she has to use the same catagory as most surveys.
 Derry 01 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

I got that one wrong then

Morty 01 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

I filled it in but the last question made me want to kill myself, but only after telling my best mate I love him and helping him to kill himself...

But seriously, that last question was a bit offensive as I'd invested some time and effort answering the other questions and then had to complete a question I had issues with in order to finish the survey. I feel dirty, like I've been survey-raped. I may start to have suicidal thoughts. Thanks for that.

Derry 01 May 2015
In reply to Morty:
very poor taste IMO

If you're trolling; 1/10 from me
Post edited at 23:02
 Cobbler 02 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

"I consider suicide among the worst things to do to relatives."

I read that as assisting a relative commit suicide so my answer is completely wrong. I found a number of the questions unclear about what was being asked and the complete lack of a neutral response means many answers will be of a random nature. It is an interesting area of research but this was a poorly worded/constructed survey so I don't think it's results will be of any value.
 Hairy Pete 02 May 2015
In reply to Cobbler:
> (In reply to Cerris90)
>
> ... the complete lack of a neutral response means many answers will be of a random nature.

+1
Especially the question about ranking the masculinity of different nationalities. There ought to be at least the option of opting-out of such questions.

timjones 02 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Why don't these surveys allow you to scan through the questions so that you can make up your mind whether it's worthwhile before you start?
OP Cerris90 02 May 2015
In reply to Morty:
Well lucky for you there are numbers you can contact in the information page at the beginning if you feel that way.

It also stated you didn't actually have to do it.
It's actually dissapointing that you have the audacity to say something like that on a thread which is of a serious nature for a serious study. This is a subject that is close to my missis heart. An you sitting behind a keyboard saying things which frankly if you said to someone in a face to face situation I'm sure you would come off differently.
Post edited at 10:07
OP Cerris90 02 May 2015
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Read one of my replys to someone who has said the exact same please.
 Morty 02 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

I'm really sorry for having an opinion and the "audacity" to express it. If you can't make jokes in bad taste on the internet anymore, well I don't know if I can carry on...
 Trangia 02 May 2015
In reply to timjones:
> Why don't these surveys allow you to scan through the questions so that you can make up your mind whether it's worthwhile before you start?

I couldn't agree more. I set out to complete this survey and spent a lot of time thinking carefully about my answers because I genuinely wanted to help the OP, then I reached question 14. I honestly couldn't answer it because as I say above I have no opinions on the question. I might as well have tossed a coin.

As I say I felt irritated that having made the effort, I then couldn't continue.

Utter waste of time and of no use to the OP.

Pity, because I think it's a serious subject well worth researching.
Post edited at 17:52
 AllanMac 02 May 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Done. Fascinating survey, and good luck with the MSc.

Not sure about the last question, which seemed to me to be a little bit 'jokey' in asking us to pigeonhole perceived national traits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...