UKC

Nepal - Personal Thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 02 May 2015
For the last week I've been seeing the pictures of the death and destruction in Nepal. I have at times felt really, really saddened and I think it's exacerbated by the fact that I have been there, met the wonderful people and seen the magnificent old building and majestic scenery.

Just seem a bit more personal.

Namaste
Timarzi 02 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm currently working on a military base with several Gurkhas around. Seeing as I'm earning more from being here I thought I'd better give the DEC a little bit. It was quite distressing, especially before they'd all declared family safe.
 chris fox 02 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I got a message from one of my Nepalese friends yesterday and he's on the safe list. I also have a friend from NZ who was out there on a climbing trip and is now on the rescue mission, he put out a message on Facebook for donations to his personal account and received over NZ$5000 that they have spent on food and have doctors/jeeps and trucks heading out to the Gorkha region.
 joan cooper 02 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Start of the monsoon . They had big hail and thunder today in Pokhara.
 Axel Smeets 02 May 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Is this Mal by any chance?
OP mypyrex 02 May 2015
Hats off to EVERYONE in Nepal working so hard in the aftermath.
 chris fox 02 May 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:
It's a mate Jonathan Clearwater who's pretty well known in the NZ climbing community and he's joined up with Mal, also he said Ed's Granddaughter is pulling a few strings.

I'm sure there are plenty of fund raising sites around, there's is

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/nepal-earthquake-2015 and it's up to $30,000
Post edited at 18:21
 Axel Smeets 02 May 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Ah I see. Mal's site is the one I've contributed to. There's some good work being done out there, and knowing Mal, there's no one better to be on the ground helping out. Good luck to them all.
 chris fox 03 May 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Once my cheque from Rockfax for my photos in the new guide turns up it'll be getting added to JC/Mals fundraising site.
redsonja 04 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I always feel shocked and sad when I hear of anything like this, but as you say, it always seems to be worse if you have been to the country, met the people etc. I love Nepal and the people and I'm close to tears when I see the destruction there. Not so long ago,I had a wonderful time in Ukraine and met some fantastic people and it's so sad when I see what is happening there. I totally know where you are coming from

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...