UKC

What lies beneath Fairy Cave Quarry...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.darkanddeep.co.uk/caving_mendip.asp

Ace place to climb, but have you ever wondered what the vestige-eyed, ET-fingered, Gollum-types are looking at below your feet?

Oceanrower 03 May 2015
In reply to A Random Climber:

Well, that's a few of them.

There's also, off the top of my head, Balch's upper and lower, Conning Tower, W/L and, of course Fairy Cave itself (which joins up with Hilliers for a through trip).

I might have missed one or two.
 joan cooper 03 May 2015
In reply to A Random Climber:
I had the pleasure of caving through Fairy cave many years ago The formations were spectacular Primrose and pink crystals in the form of water lilies. etc
, stal veils like delicate lace you could see your hand through. etc I had never seen such beauty in a cave before! No wonder it is or was closed except for specially lead trips.
For what I remember of Manor Farm Cave it was a stinky hole that drained a pig Sty!!!!!
Post edited at 15:50
 The Pylon King 03 May 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

I wonder if there is room to build a carpark down there?
 joan cooper 03 May 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Only if you drive a mini !
In reply to joan cooper:

A bit of dynamite might help?
 joan cooper 03 May 2015
You deserve more comtempt than I can muster I know you MUST be joking or I will blow up some of your fav crags!!!!!Give you some new routes to keep you quiet.
In reply to joan cooper:

So you have some dynamite then?
 joan cooper 03 May 2015

Yes a few sticks left over from the Boer War!!!!
 Oceanrower 04 May 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

> For what I remember of Manor Farm Cave it was a stinky hole that drained a pig Sty!!!!!

It still does!

However, Fairy cave/Hilliers has two entrances. One of which hasn't locked for a long time and the other can be opened from the inside. Do the through trip the right way round and no key is required.

joan cooper 04 May 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

I hope the cavers are still paying proper respect to the formations which Id hate to become broken and muddy as they are in other systems there were/are some unique beauties there In some places almost impossible to avoid without being a contortionist. I think there are some good pictures in a Paul Deakin ,book. Isnt there some sort of preservation order on the system? When I went the leader had to be specially appointed.
 Oceanrower 04 May 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

Are you sure it was Fairy Cave? no leader required but (in theory) you need a CSCC key.

Fernhill, Withyhill and Shatter all require a leader but Conning Tower and Balch's Lower are, again CSCC key.

Balch's Upper is open with an interesting 'tube' entrance.
 joan cooper 04 May 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

My trip was in the middle 70's and looking at the pictures shown earlier may have combined 2 or 3 of the series I remember a big curtain multi-coloured and an angels wing and pearls in pools But anyway it or they are spectacular.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...