UKC

marathon advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
uclanclimber 04 May 2015
So I've decided to run a competitive marathon, I fancy doing one on the road and one off this year. Entering the glen coe in october and looking to do a road one before. On the road I've run a 10k in 35 this year, a half in 1hr 20 (this was 5 years ago). On trail I did the Lairig Mor race Kinlochlenen to Fort William in 1hr 35 which included a big fall earlier this year. I ran 20 miles on road yeasterday in 2:15 but felt utterly destroyed at the end

Basically, if I were to train properly what time could I aspire to both road and for the Glencoe? I've always run but do it with a total lack of brain and am hoping a bit of forthought might make me take a step up.

Cheers,

Lawrence
 andy 04 May 2015
In reply to uclanclimber:
On the road double your half time and add 10% isn't a bad rule of thumb, assuming proper prep and everything going according to plan.
uclanclimber 04 May 2015
In reply to andy:

cheers, I guess proper prep is the key. I run about 32-40 a week (have an active job, go in the hills lots). Is it worth upping to 50?

andy 04 May 2015
Another rule of thumb is your longest 5 runs should total 100 miles +. You can run a decent time on 40 a week, but you might want to up it a bit for your 4-5 biggest weeks.
uclanclimber 04 May 2015
In reply to andy:

cool, 40 a week is all I can be bothered to do. I like "running" but dislike training. You've given me a good place to start guess I'm gonner have to start planning and getting orginised. I'm pretty sure I could run a sub 330 but would love to run sub 3:10
 Uluru 04 May 2015

A friend of mine had the same half marathon time as you, he achieved this in March this year and ran London Marathon in 2:52.

Another friend did London as his first marathon, 10K PB 34:30, half marathon time 1:16 and he ran London in 3:04
 mountainbagger 04 May 2015

Wow, wish I was as fast as you! My 10k PB is 40, HM PB 1:29 and Marathon PB 3:18. Took me a few goes to get that and think I have a sub 3:10 in me if all falls into place on the day. There are so many factors it might take you a few goes to get sub 3 hrs but I reckon that's what you should aim for in a flat road marathon. I would if I was as fast as you.

Glencoe - not so sure, never done it but was contemplating it this year. Somebody else could advise you on time to aim for, given your HM and 10k times but I bet that's even more unpredictable than a road marathon.

Good luck

Damo
 Roadrunner5 04 May 2015
Was it an accurate 20? If 20 in 2:15 sub 3 will be a formality.

~6:45 minute mileing in training.. for a long run pace you'd easily be mid to low 6's if you trained properly.

See what mileage you can sustain. No idea re trail marathons, it's hard to equate across, some good roadies are just terrible on trails.

I'd up to 50. Just try to get a regular long run.. 15-17 miles most weekends and 4 or 5 nearer and over 20. Then race a few halfs as pace work outs and throw in a few tempo/MP paced runs, LT intervals and you'll do OK.
Post edited at 20:46
 The New NickB 04 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Was it an accurate 20? If 20 in 2:15 sub 3 will be a formality.

In theory, I ran 2:15 at the Trimple 20, 5 weeks before my last marathon, I think I could have run 2:58-2:59 that day, unrested after a heavy weeks training. At the marathon, it was shit from 10 miles and I knew sub 3 wasn't happening from before half way.

A 35 minute 10k runner, should be looking at sub 2:10 though for 20 miles and with the right training probably 2:50 or better for the marathon.

Problem is, not everyone can convert their times over shorter distances to the marathon, I haven't managed it yet.
 Roadrunner5 04 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I know but that is 20 and it sounds like in training. So in a race he would probably run 2:10 or below.

But if you can run 6:45 for 20 then you should have stamina to convert that to a 6:52 pace for the marathon.

Times at 5k and 10k arent as useful as some people just cannot convert. I've friends who murder me at 5k's but halfs we're getting closer, by the full I'm quicker.

The New NickB 05 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> But if you can run 6:45 for 20 then you should have stamina to convert that to a 6:52 pace for the marathon.

Should, but it certainly isn't a formality.
uclanclimber 05 May 2015

loads of good advice, chears guys. got somewhere to start. its good to know that its possible. cheers folks
 Roadrunner5 05 May 2015

Seriously it is.. If you could do 7 seconds ahead of MP for 20 miles outside of a race then it's a formality..
 Nutkey 05 May 2015

> Should, but it certainly isn't a formality.

Given the 2:15 for 20 is before any long distance training (by the sounds of it) inclined to agree, provided we also agree that formality means "Get plenty of long runs and don't get injured doing it", with the latter bit being the most important....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...