UKC

AV connection question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 05 May 2015

Trying to link up TV DVD and AV system.

Currently got DVD to TV scart for image and DVD to AV digital coax, however there is a delay due to processing of audio meaning audio/video are out of sync by about 200ms

The DVD player outputs are, scart, composite video, L/R analogue audio, digital coax
TV inputs are mini scart, hdmi, component video
AV receiver has composite video passthrough and composite audio passthrough.

Ideally Id have one with HDMI passthrough but its only a couple of years old so cant justify a new one.

I did try a scart to composite cable with the video going to the AV and then a composite to component cable to the TV but it didnt have a signal input, it may work if I used the composite audio and video passthrough but then I wouldnt be able to use the digital audio signal which is the whole point of the AV unit really.

Any suggestions please?
Post edited at 19:06
 SenzuBean 05 May 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

> I did try a scart to composite cable with the video going to the AV and then a composite to component cable to the TV but it didnt have a signal input...

Just to double-check you tried scart->composite to the amp, and then composite->component from the amp to the TV? That doesn't sound like it should work at all.

scart->component to amp, then component->component to the TV is a better option and should work if the amp has video passthrough. (check with your DVD player manual if it can support component video, it should from memory if it has scart). This has the best video quality your DVD player has to offer.

Another option (slightly lower quality video) is:
scart->composite to amp, then component->component to the TV
The amp will need to have video upscaling to be able to perform this operation (check the manual). This should work, however you may need to fiddle with the video/audio delay settings to get audio/video to sync up (check manual).
You can also run composite into the amp to be able to take advantage of the video/audio delay settings (slightly lower again video quality).
OP The Potato 05 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
just double checked and the amp does indeed have component video passthrough, im just not prepared to have the image quality or sound quality reduced.

oh well ill just try and find another way to synch it

edit- what do you reckon to getting a scart to hdmi adaptor (powered unit), presumably that would have some processing delay also?
Post edited at 20:02
 SenzuBean 05 May 2015

.. There will be no downgrade at all in quality if you use component passthrough on the amp

I think getting a scart->HDMI adaptor is a waste of money. Its processing delay would indeed exist, but might be completely different to that of your amp processing the audio. (audio might be 100ms delay, HDMI video might be 180ms delay - and that 80ms would still be noticeable - for example).

Another option would be to replace the DVD player with a BluRay player that can do simultaneous digi-coax / HDMI out (make sure to research this before buying), and has video delay (a bog standard BluRay would likely not do these I'd imagine, might need to get either an older high-spec unit or a modern high-spec unit). That would give you the best video quality you can get (subject to the quality of the DSP of the BluRay), and the second-best audio you can get.
In reply to SenzuBean:

im sold on that idea, new dvd / blue ray player it is, plus i can get rid of that horrid scart cable then too

as an interesting aside I found that there is an option on my tv to change the delay so if I pass the audio through the tv then to the amp I can get them synched, however this only does it via 2 channel PCM (optical digital cable) which is a shame again as it does affect the sound quality from the AV amp.

Anyway Im off to Richer Sounds tomorrow so spend some pennies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...