UKC

Climber falls at Marsland Mouth / Gull Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petecallaghan 11 May 2015
Sadly, a climber fell at Gull Rock (N Devon Coast, near Marsland Mouth) on Saturday and subsequently died. Does anyone know anything about this accident - the climbers, route, or the condition of the crag?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32680626
 evhall 11 May 2015
In reply to petecallaghan:

This is the second climbing fatality on this part of the coast in the last year - is there a link between these accidents - if I remember correctly the first death was due to a peg failure and or loose rock...
 james mann 11 May 2015

I don't think that this is the time for this at all. Obviously UKC is accessible to anyone and that includes the family and friends involved in the aftermath of this tragic accident. People here do not always think before they post and do at times write things which they would not say in a face to face situation with all those concerned.

This is what I posted yesterday in Four Points Climbing.

This is terribly sad news. Can we as a community try and avoid discussion about how and why this awful event has occurred at this raw and difficult time for his family and friends? There is nothing to be gained from uninformed speculation until the facts are known. Deepest condolences.

Please think carefully before posting.

James
 The Pylon King 11 May 2015

He was a friend of mine:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=146178

As James says it is not the time or place for a discussion.

He was amazing guy and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP Matty.
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

RIP.

Horrible at any time or place, of course, but somehow worse at a crag with such a sunny and recreational vibe.

jcm
 BALD EAGLE 11 May 2015

Yep I second what Pylon King states and Matthew was a really top, genuine guy and will be hugely missed by all who knew him.

Deepest and sincere condolences to all Matthew's friends, family and loved ones.

RIP Matthew

Dave
 Kemics 11 May 2015
only climbed with him first time last month. Was a nice guy, super stoked for climbing and ethuasastic.

RIP
xxxxxxxxxxxx 14 May 2015

Matty was my climbing partner and dear friend he will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him xx RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...