UKC

Irritating new feature on UKC forums tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Over the last three hours I've noticed about 20-30 threads have been bumped up to look as if someone's added a comment when they haven't. This is extremely tedious with discussions that one finds interesting. Some of these 'bumps' are of posts that are hours or even days old (i.e have run their course, died a death etc.) I hope the moderators aren't doing this deliberately, because it's quite irritating for the user.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I spotted that weirdness, too. I suspect a rash of deleted spam...
 cuppatea 11 May 2015

My 'my forums' earlier was just along list of Pub Forum topics.

I wondered if the Lemming had been busy
 aln 11 May 2015

> hope the moderators aren't doing this deliberately, because it's quite irritating for the user.

Have you asked them?

KevinD 11 May 2015
> I hope the moderators aren't doing this deliberately, because it's quite irritating for the user.

Rather unlikely. Wouldnt be surprised if they were tidying up after a spammer though.
 PPP 11 May 2015

Here's my speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if server got down, they tried to back it up and something went wrong (time zones, algorithms to find the newest thread, database mismatch, etc.). I can't imagine how it was programming error and I don't think it has anything to do with people (well, apart from creating a bug in the system!). I am not a WEB developer, but that sounds more feasible than that someone is messing around with UKC.

If you are interested in any particular topic (or want to see if someone replied to you), just add it to your topics and track them by "My Topics". It looks like the bug affects that list as well, though.
 Offwidth 12 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

Someone posts then decides not to send or deletes it?
 PPP 12 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

That's interesting. Someone is definitely having some fun...

We are looking into this problem.

Alan
 wercat 12 May 2015

I noticed this yesterday morning and there were one or two extra symptoms as well.

1) I couldn't log in as the system didn't remember my username till I entered my email.

2) On a couple of occasions I edited a post and saw the updated entry - coming back to the thread a minute or two later the changes were not visible any more. This morning the edits are visible correctly. Looks as if a transaction/update isn't happening correctly.
 Doug 12 May 2015

I wondered what was going on, assumed someone was posting a lot of comments which were being moderated

It's all sorted guys, the last post time on the threads should be back in sync.
 FactorXXX 12 May 2015

Blame the new Government. They seem to be being blamed and accused of everything else untoward at the moment...
 Bob 12 May 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Blame the new Government. They seem to be being blamed and accused of everything else untoward at the moment...

No, you've got it wrong. The government are too powerful you have to blame a minority even if they have nothing to do with it. As examples you could blame immigrants for traffic jams on the M4 or the SNP for an election result in Thanet.
 wercat 12 May 2015
In reply to Bob:

I prefer the idea of North Korean hackers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...