UKC

Living in Llandudno or thereabouts...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John H Bull 12 May 2015

Anyone done it? Thoughts please...
Knowns/obvious features: it's by the sea/Ormes, full of tourists, better weather than Llanberis, nice and clean (apparently - I read it here somewhere), has decent pubs, full of retired folks, etc. Much going on under the surface?
Post edited at 15:12
 zimpara 12 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

Have a good job and leave before you get stuck. Wales as a whole I might add.
abseil 12 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

I haven't lived there so if you think I'm disqualified do not read on folks.

BUT I've been there numerous times and stayed many, many nights and in my opinion it's a dump and I would hate to live there.
 DoctorYoghourt 12 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:
I lived and worked there for six months. There's a dark underbelly, just like in any town, and it certainly gets overcrowded in summer. But it's certainly cleaner and nicer than bleeding Rhyl or Colwyn Bay!!
 Tim Davies 12 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

Cool place!
 jezb1 13 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

Lived on the Orme for a couple of years, it was ace

Dave Garnett 13 May 2015
In reply to jezb1:

But was it better than Macclesfield?
OP John H Bull 13 May 2015
In reply to zimpara and all:
I can work anywhere, so escape is always an option.
Looking about 50-50 for ratings so far, polarised into opposite camps of disgusted vs enthused. Ta for responses all.

Good Q Dave, not sure what locations can beat Macclesfield, but there must be some out there somewhere...
Post edited at 11:15
 Tyler 13 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

If you can live anywhere in not sure id chose Llandudno over anywhere else in the UK but its be a contender. Unlike most other uk seaside resorts its aged well. If you want a N Wales base and you sport climb then why not. The lack of a wall would worry me as a climber but queensferry is not that far and you will probably get more outdoor climbing days there than most places (especially if you count Parisellas cave as outdoors). Sounds like you've nothing to lose go for 12 months and if you don't like it move to Exeter, Ribble Valley or Gelncoe!
OP John H Bull 13 May 2015
In reply to Tyler:
Funnily enough, Ribble Valley is another place under consideration. Not great for indoor walls or super-accessible bouldering, but ticks most other boxes. I'm all-round into bouldering/trad/sport as well as walking + winter stuff, but not too bothered about indoor walls. Exeter has been scrutinised, but found wanting: not great for the other half's work situation, likewise Spain which would be my first choice. Glencoe, now there's a thought.
Post edited at 11:31
 Dave Garnett 13 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

For me the primary consideration would be better weather, which would exclude Glencoe for a start.
 Kimono 13 May 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> For me the primary consideration would be better weather, which would exclude Glencoe for a start.

it would exclude the whole UK imo.
If you can really work where you like, they why not get out to somehow with a better climate generally?
That's what i did
 sheelba 13 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

I lived up the conwy valley and worked in Llandudno. Didn't have any social life to speak of but the climbing was great. Very handy for the A55 sport crags and anything in snowdonia. Bit of a trek indoors in the winter though to the beacon, there are other closer poorer alternatives. The town itself didn't strike me as being that nice but it's a good base for the outdoors. The Clwyd club are a good bunch many of whom are based along the A55 despite what the name suggests.
 Dave the Rave 13 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:
Deganwy is quite sought after as is Rhos on Sea. It's 5 mins from Llan. I wouldn't knock the area at all. Yes there's a few seaside scumbags in Llan but generally it's great with good amenities.
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I was born and bred in Colwyn / Rhos, and after 20 years away have finally come back and have no intention of ever leaving. There's not much if you want nightclubs, but plenty of good pubs/restaurants etc.

Access to Snowdonia, Anglesey and the coast is fantastic - especially good if you have sea kayaking / mtb / cycling interests too for weather alternatives. And even ignoring mountains and climbing, just having the access to the Ormes, Nant y gamar, Bryn Euryn, etc and all the beaches for morning / evening walks is worth considering.

Personally I would stay out of Llandudno itself just because of the traffic issues when the holidaymakers are in town (don't mention the Extravaganza.....) but usually it's fine.

Beacon + Indy are closer indoor walls than queensferry (and there are allegedly indoor walls at Llandudno junction and Llanrwst leisure centres, but I don't know anyone that's ever used them).
 sheelba 13 May 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

The one at Junction is tiny and mostly for kids. The one at Llanwrst is actually not bad. There's a small leading wall but the bouldering is of a reasonable quality. There's quite a few lines to go at combined with the featured wall makes for a descent number of problems. The mat seemed to come and go though, although there're not that high. Similar to the one in the Brennan (although the Brennan is better) but if you're going there you may as well go the indy or beacon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...