UKC

Conditions on Ben nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mason_7 16 May 2015
When is the best time of year to go Ben nevis for full summer conditions?
 Mark Collins 16 May 2015
In reply to mason_7:

I did Tower ridge in late August 2011 and there was no snow on it. Perhaps keep an eye on the weather forecast in August and September coupled with a webcam:
http://www.visitfortwilliam.co.uk/about-ben-nevis-in-fort-william-and-ben-n...
 Webster 16 May 2015
In reply to mason_7:
it can snow on the summit plateau any time of year, and patches of snow survive in the north face gullies year round. typically by the start of august the whole tourist route and cmd arête route will be snow free, but last year a very large snow patch was still covering the tourist route just below the summit in late august. at the moment it is still full winter above 1000m in the highlands and the snow depth at the summit cairn is around 4m, so it will survive for quite some time yet!

climbing wise many of the rock routes can be done on a warm sunny day from spring onwards, but accessing the routes will require snow approaches. the castle area tends to be completely snow free first
Post edited at 14:11
 Jamie B 16 May 2015
In reply to Webster:

I've never seen anything like it around the summit area. Snow transportation and cornice build-up has created high-points of snow that appear higher than the summit trig-point, which itself stands on a (buried) 12-foot high plinth! The cairns which mark the direction-change at the top of Gardyloo are much further below the cornice-edge than normal, and the line of the path/cairns between here and McLean's Steep traverses a far more distinct slope than normal. I'm pretty sure that this has what has been pushing the unwary down towards Coire Eoghainn.

Eventually these huge snow-masses are going to fracture and sag downwards, which could make life spicy for the 3 Peaks events which by then will be in full swing!
 Webster 16 May 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

last season by the end of april both the summit trig point and shelter were completely buried, so I would put that at a total depth of over 5m! so not quite as much snow in terms of maximum depth this season, but its hanging on far longer!
mason_7 16 May 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Cheers guys! All good information.. Im thinking of going up tower ridge and observatory. Im going at the end of June so may have to plan ahead and take the good old axe haha
 Michael Gordon 16 May 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Depending on the year, late May through to September is really the Ben summer season. I think it would be rare for an axe to be called for, even on approaches, in late June but you never know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...