UKC

south east sandstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 osheye 16 May 2015
hi all you knowledgable folks , is it the case that my rock shoes ( recently re-soled by cheshire repairers with 510 rubber ) and normal tape slings for top rope anchors are frowned upon/banned at these venues ? O.
 LucaC 16 May 2015
In reply to osheye:

In reply to osheye:
Have a look at this BMC vid, it should tell you everything you need to know: http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/how-to-look-after-southern-sandstone

Sticky rubber is fine, as long as it is clean. Give your boots a wipe down to make climbing easier and help minimise erosion. There are no problems using slings, so long as you don't have any moving rope rubbing on the edge of the crag. You've probably seen people mention using rigging rope instead of slings - it is easier to rig a top rope which isn't going to rub if you have a length of static rope.
Removed User 16 May 2015
In reply to LJC:

You will also find, unless you have a very large number of tape slings, that at most venues it's not possible to set up a top rope using slings as the belays can be a very long way from the edge.
 Oceanrower 16 May 2015
In reply to Removed UserArdverikie2:

Really? Most venues seem to have a bolt a few inches from the edge, unless you're on one of the more 'esoteric' outcrops.
Removed User 16 May 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

I can only suggest that you look up the word "most".
OP osheye 16 May 2015
In reply to osheye:

thanks to all . o
 Oceanrower 16 May 2015
In reply to Removed UserArdverikie2:

And I suggest you look up the word 'unless'

Without trying to get into a pissing contest with the bloke above who knows so much about the meaning of words, pretty much any area you go to will be bolted.

This is because, if you have to ask about these things, you will probably be new to Sandstone. Therefore you almost certainly won't be going to Eridge Green, Bull's Hollow, Basset's Farm Rocks etc., etc.

You probably WILL be going to Harrisons, Bowles or Stone Farm which are all plentifully bolted.

Have fun.

P.s. You MIGHT be going to High Rocks. This only has a few bolts but the climbing generally is harder here so, again, probably for people who have been before and know what it's like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...