UKC

Hexham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timbers 19 May 2015
Hello Everyone,

We're thinking of relocating the family from Nottingham up to Hexham for a bit of a change of scene.

Has anyone that's local or has spent time in or around the Hexham area got any opinions on what it's like as a place for a family with two small kids please?

Be honest, any opinions valued, just trying to get a real idea of the place. My partner has got an interview up there later in the week so we won't get chance to get up and have a mooch about.

Sorry it's a boring post!!

Thanks.
 mp3ferret 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I live near hexham and work there. Its a really nice, family friendly, place - i'd move here if i could afford it.

Surrounded by Northumberland national park, hadrians wall is a stones throw away. Really nice parks and river and the place is full of history.

Sorry its a boring answer

Marc
OP timbers 19 May 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

That's not boring!!

Thanks for your reply. We are a bit worried looking at house prices that we won't be able to afford to live there.

Simon.
 AdamCB 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

Grew up nearby, have lived in various parts of southern england for the past 20 years, but if a job took me back there I'd be happy to go. It's got a lot going for it, countryside, space. Schools were considered good when I was there too, although obviously that may have changed over time.
 Timmd 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I've a friend who grew up there...could ask if you want?
 JDC 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

Grew up just down the road. Lovely area, plenty of countryside, historic market town. Imagine it's quite pricey for housing these days but quite a few options up and down the Tyne valley that would be cheaper and very easy to get to Hexham (by road or rail). Imagine Haltwhistle is still cheaper as it's further away from Newcastle. Certainly Corbridge, Stocksfield, Wylam etc are quite pricey. But Prudhoe is prob still quite affordable in an Easterly direction (15-20 mins on train or driving).

Not far to Wanney's, Crag Lough etc and prob only about an hour + to Bowden Doors.
 coinneach 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I've lived 20 ish miles from Hexham for 20 years. It's a really nice market town, friendly locals, good pubs & restaurants.

Local hospital is excellent, both kids born there and have used for various mishaps, rugby injuries etc.

Housing is pricy as someone commented but if you don't mind living out of town can be cheaper.

If you're into cycling then loads of quiet country roads and climbing is relatively close ( lakes in an hour )

My lad plays rugby at Tynedale and most of his team mates are at Hexham schools. Never heard a parent say a bad word about them.
 wintertree 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

Lovely town to visit on day trips, but never lived there. As well as Northumberland you've got Allendale leading you into the Durham Dales which is also very nice, all be it with much less climbing.

bluerockman 19 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I spent 5 years living up in the North and it has to be some of the best years of my life. Hexham is good town, a touch quiet but safe with a young family. It's well placed to reach Newcastle which is a city that needs no further introduction. Durham is also stunning and a great place to head out an visit. The area is well connected with Newcastle Airport, good train links and the M6 close by.

North of the A69 and you have some outstanding countryside and, in my humble opinion, some of the best single pitch climbing in the country. Again, because it's a bit further north than the Lakes, the Peaks or North Wales it is quiet, yet the quality of the climbing is outstanding. To head out walking and cycling it's a great place to explore. Now I was a student for some of my time there and I don't really have anything to say on schools etc, however what I can say is that if work for me was available up in the North East I would move up in a heart beat!

Go exploring and have fun!
 coinneach 19 May 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Ps

Hexham 10 Nottingham 0

(IMHO)
OP timbers 19 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

If you wouldn't mind please, that would be grand, thanks.
OP timbers 19 May 2015
In reply to coinneach:
That made me smile!!

Thanks for your reply.

OP timbers 19 May 2015
In reply to bluerockman:

Blimey!! As ever, I'm pleasantly surprised how UK Climbing users on here always take the time to give such helpful answers.

Thanks very much for all your replies. It all sounds positive so far.

I didn't realise there was so much decent climbing nearby either.

Thanks again everyone.

OP timbers 19 May 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Cheers for the great info regarding kids, hospitals, etc. That's very helpful.
In reply to timbers:

I grew up in Hexham - lovely countryside, lovely town. However, as a teenager and a wannabe punk I couldn't wait to leave, it felt very disconnected - in the days of CB radio its call sign was 'cow town' which sort of sums up the distinctly agricultural focus of the place. Your kids will love it now but may want to be closer to Newcastle when they get older. The local climbing is good though.
 ti_pin_man 20 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I can only really add a +1.

Lived in Allendale for a fair few years and from newcastle originally, lovely area. Hexham/corbridge nice but pricey. Bouldering in the area is ace. Mountain biking from Allendale is ace. Newcaslte is near enough for a bit of town. Tons of history as said. Good friendly folk. Nuff said.
OP timbers 20 May 2015
In reply to colin struthers:

Thanks for your reply, adds a bit of balance. Not many Punks in Hexham then?!?!?
OP timbers 20 May 2015
In reply to ti_pin_man:

Thanks. All this talk of ace mountain biking and climbing is selling it for me.
 Root1 20 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

There is also the very active Northumbrian MC up here too.
Hexham is well placed for the Lakes and local climbing and Scotland is doable in a weekend.
 SteveSBlake 20 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I live just North of Hexham, it's our local town. It has everything you might need, Newcastle, just down the road (a Dual Carriageway - about 20 mins) has everything you might want.... rail links East and West, not far to newcastle airport....

The town could be particularly handsome, the Abbey is special, the Park nice but the pedestrianised Fore Street lets it down.

It is a particularly musical place, there is a non for profit organisation called Core music that is very active, teaching all sorts of musical stuff, it supports and hosts several folk bands, rock groups and solo 'artists', it's a great asset to the community. If you, or your kids are musical you should check it out.

There's a very active rowing scene, and the cycling is great. There's an excellent new sports centre (The Wentworth). The nearest indoor wall is in Newburn about half way to Newcastle. Newcastle has several walls now, SUnderland wall is also within reach as is Carlisle's excellent Eden Rock.

It's about 1 1/4 hours to get to Keswick, similar for the crags in the North of the County.

I think it's a great place, the schools are good, and the countryside around the town is lovely. There are crags nearby; Peel, Crag Lough, The Wanneys, Woodburn, and bouldering at Rothley and Shaftoe.

House prices seem lowish at the mo, but I haven't looked for a while.

Regards,

Steve

Chris Murray 20 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

I grew up in Hexham, and, while I haven't lived there for over 20 years, still get back to visit my Mam a couple of times a year.

The high School (QEHS) was great while I was there and I believe it still is. There's rowing on Tyne Green (as another poster mentioned) which was my big thing at school before I discovered climbing.

Lots of walking nearby (N'land is the most unspoilt and unpopulated county in England) including the unbelievably beautiful Roman Wall (Hadrian's Wall to non-locals), which I can't believe, looking back, that I only visited once or twice while I actually lived there. Climbing is not up to Peak District quantity, but there is plenty of good stuff around. The Wannies and Crag Lough are fairly close and it's a short drive over Alston to The Lakes.

Hexham is a pretty decent town during the day, but, despite what others have said, there is only one decent pub; the Tap and Spile. Scottish and Newcastle have a lot to answer for!
 wercat 21 May 2015
In reply to timbers:
I grew up in WeirdDale and a trip to Hexham was always a treat plus agree with all you say about Northumberland - and the benefit of the WeirdDale/Teesdale landscape just to the south
 Andy Hardy 21 May 2015
In reply to colin struthers:

You weren't in the Globe alpine youth squad by any chance?
In reply to Andy Hardy:

My husband grew up in Hexham and would love to move back. He is selling his mam's 1980s 3 bed family home in Allendale if you're interested (not currently with an estate agent). I've been there a lot, visiting in-laws, and it's a beautiful area with access to all the transport, shopping, walking etc as mentioned above.
OP timbers 22 May 2015
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:
Hiya everyone,

Thanks again for all your time and kind, helpful replies. They made me really excited about moving there, it sounded perfect for us.

But the missus didn't get the blooming job, so that's that dream screwed for the time being. Really upset about it to be honest.

I'd take "Cow Town" over "Shottingham" any day of the week.

Cheers.

Bulls Crack 22 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

That's funny (or not) we briefly considered moving there but the missus didn't apply for the job!

Last year - presumably not the same job
 coinneach 22 May 2015
In reply to timbers:

Oh No !

That's a shame . . . . What was the job anyway?
OP timbers 22 May 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Primary Teacher at the school in Sandhoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...