UKC

Musings whilst on the train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 21 May 2015
Cats - they only really come in one size why? Whereas dogs tend to come in lots of different sizes.

Ladies - wearing 3/4 below the knee leggings, why that length? I wear undershorts when running 'cause i chaff, but they fit under my shorts and are not revealing.
In reply to goldmember:

This week I have seen adult cats weighing between 2 and 9.5 kilos.

The 2-kilo cat would have won in a fight. As it proved with me.
 Timmd 21 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:
It could depend on how you define 'cats'? If you think of tigers and lions and leopards, and Scottish wild cats, as well as domestic cats, and probably other species I've not mentioned, they do come in more than one size.

Fashion is as il/logical as humans are.
Post edited at 21:46
 Timmd 21 May 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:
> This week I have seen adult cats weighing between 2 and 9.5 kilos.

> The 2-kilo cat would have won in a fight. As it proved with me.

A large cat used to zig zag in front of me when I walked past it's home so I'd stop and stroke it, and one day I went to pick it up and nearly dropped it due to surprise at it's weight.

I couldn't fault it really, in it liking eating and people to stop and stroke it. In the same life as that cat I'd have probably done the same.
Post edited at 21:50
OP goldmember 21 May 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

The weight range isn't as great as it is with dogs. A 25kg cat could be a better family protector than the same weigh dog
 Bob 21 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> The weight range isn't as great as it is with dogs. A 25kg cat could be a better family protector than the same weigh dog

Have you seen that video of a cat protecting a kid from a dog? Cats punch way above their weight.
In reply to goldmember:

> The weight range isn't as great as it is with dogs. A 25kg cat could be a better family protector than the same weigh dog

A cat of any size doesn't give a sh*t about your treasured possessions. Or you.

Plus, as someone pointed out, the biggest cats are way bigger than the biggest dogs; it's just that a 150kg cat would eat you just for something to do.
In reply to goldmember:

Tens of thousands of years of selective breeding of dogs for different purposes. Admittedly, I'm not sure what the purpose of a chihuahua is, other than to snap, cower and yap.

Cats don't have that long a symbiotic relationship with humans, because, as Maisie points out, they really couldn't give a shit about you, and aren't amenable to training. Pest control for agrarians, perhaps, but Jack Russells are far superior ratters, verging on psychotic killing machines...
 nufkin 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> Ladies - wearing 3/4 below the knee leggings, why that length? I wear undershorts when running 'cause i chaff, but they fit under my shorts and are not revealing.

I wear 3/4 when it's chilly for a bit of extra warmth round the knees.

Out of curiosity, what do the overshorts do for you? Have you tried just running in the undershorts and saving yourself some faff?
In reply to nufkin:

Hide his meat & two veg?
ceri 22 May 2015
In reply to nufkin: 3/4 length: long leggings that don't get wet or muddy so easily. I think my default length.
The role of cats in the human world has been to kill mice. Only in the last 100 years have we really started to breed for looks. Dogs have been bred for different roles for 1000s of years.

yorkshireman 22 May 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> [Cats] aren't amenable to training.

I present exhibit A

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/21/amazing-acro-cats-touri...

On the other hand - my four cats almost broke the bedroom door down demanding to be fed this morning. Clive is currently yowling like mad to go out (I'm holding off until 8.30 to give the wildlife a chance) and intermittently trying to steal my porridge. If I could direct their talents to a circus troupe I could maybe quit the day job.

The dog on the other hand is patiently waiting for me to finish so we can go out for a walk.
 BusyLizzie 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> Ladies - wearing 3/4 below the knee leggings, why that length? I wear undershorts when running 'cause i chaff, but they fit under my shorts and are not revealing.

... cos if I'm wearing running kit on the train (eg to run from Paddington to Victoria in the morning) I am far too shy about my legs to wear shorts while in close proximity to people who might look at them Particularly if I happen to have forgotten to shave my knees
OP goldmember 22 May 2015
In reply to ceri:

> 3/4 length: long leggings that don't get wet or muddy so easily. I think my default length. - Still don't get it, wonder is it a conspiracy by the retail world?

> The role of cats in the human world has been to kill mice. Only in the last 100 years have we really started to breed for looks. Dogs have been bred for different roles for 1000s of years.

Why haven't cats been breed selectively for differing roles? over 1000's of years the could the selfishness breed out.

In reply to nufkin:

Hide his meat & two veg?

YES! but its seems to be ok for not too
In reply to goldmember:

I mused the other day, why have I never seen a baby pigeon. I live in london...
ceri 22 May 2015
In reply to stucknortherner:

'cos you haven't looked in a pigeon nest? by the time they leave the nest they look like a pigeon...

I guess we didn't breed cats to do different jobs cos we already had dogs. Dogs are much more amenable to training and working with humans due to being pack animals, whereas the cat is a solitary hunter by ancestry, so cant be bothered to allow us to mould him. I always thing the story of the Cat who Walked by Himself is a pretty good approximation of the deal we have with cats.
 Bob 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

One thing that's been noticed (by those whose job it is to notice these things) is that domestic cats are much more vocal than their feral cousins. Feral cats will only vocalise if they really need to: hissing at a rival; gently mewing to kittens. Domestic cats have learnt that we communicate by sound so vocalise more to gain attention. Our cat make a right racket when he wants to.
 MikeSP 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> Cats - they only really come in one size why? Whereas dogs tend to come in lots of different sizes.

I give you the Maine Coon
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/blyth-big-cat-lioncubb-...
Domesticated and huge.
In reply to goldmember:

I mused whilst on the train the other day that I hadn't seen any cowboys fighting on the roof of one in ages
aultguish 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Chickens and Housemartin's keep the midge population down...fact!
And on that note, midge season has officially started this morning
OP goldmember 22 May 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Agree noticed that the fly (not midge) population has increased on my lunch time run
 jkarran 22 May 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Except it wouldn't protect the family, it'd p*** on the sofa, sharpen its claws on a table leg then head out to hunt primary school children or your neighbor's doberman

jk
In reply to jkarran:

Has nobody read the Tiger that came home for Tea? It would be expensive on groceries and don't be on a water meter, but you should be fine...unless you live in Harlem and the tiger is called Ming, in which case...

http://theforceexpansive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/ming-and-friends.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_of_Harlem
 Timmd 22 May 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> ... cos if I'm wearing running kit on the train (eg to run from Paddington to Victoria in the morning) I am far too shy about my legs to wear shorts while in close proximity to people who might look at them Particularly if I happen to have forgotten to shave my knees

Society has you feeling you should shave your knees?

Rebel I tell you, rebel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...