UKC

thoracic outlet syndrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oldsign 22 May 2015
Hi all.

I've recently been given a diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome (tos). I have the tingly neurological version as opposed to the vascular version. It's been 6 months and I feel like I'm slowly on the mend via physio and daily stretches. It really is dragging though

I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and how it has effected their climbing.
 riddle 22 May 2015
In reply to Oldsign:
I had this diagnosed in 2009 after rupturing my coracobrachialis. I was given a two week course of Tanziparin and almost 12 months of Warfarin. They found a blood clot in the auxiliary vein (AV) hence all the meds.
The main advice from the NHS was centred around the Warfin, so I stopped climbing for almost a year.

I started to lift some weights instead to stave off the boredom.

It took about a year to get the all clear, part of the problem was the lack of experience and knowledge from my PCT for a Auxiliary Vein Thrombosis, and TOS. i suspect the cause was linked to carrying heavy bags on one shoulder causing the clavicle to compress the AV against the first rib

I have been told there are no longer term issues from the TOS. However I do find my right arm pumps up faster than the left, I have to spend more time warming up slowly.

Be patient, the rock will still be there and take the advice of the Physio.
Post edited at 14:01
OP Oldsign 27 May 2015
In reply to riddle:

Thanks mate. It's a really weird one. It felt like it came about as a result of climbing as it developed from post climb sore shoulders and then went into full blown pain and numbness down the right arm. My gp's were fairly crap and after six weeks off and generic neck amd shoulder stretches the symptoms eased off before switching sides and coming back with full force. I fecked off my gp's at that point as they seemed more baffled than me, returned to climbing and went to a private physio. The treatment I've received since has slowly been helping but it has felt like two steps forward and one step back for most of it. I feel like the private physio is milking it a bit as they are focusing on tissue massage and haven't really addressed posture or rebalancing my shoulder muscles.

At the moment my symptoms ease for a bit after a climb but slowly return in the days after. I tried cycling today for the first time in ages. It did bring on a bit of mild numbness but nothing like it used to.

Glad to hear yours cleared up after twelve months. I'm thinking about trying another physio at some point to see if they are any more thorough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...