UKC

EBay / Paypal nonsense

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 26 May 2015
I use Ebay about once a year if that, to sell something, usually something too big to put in a charity bag. I recently sold some garden furniture - the buyer paid by PayPal but collected the items in person.

I then get the following notifications on my Paypal account:

PayPal payment holds are typically placed on accounts that do not meet all of the following criteria:

90 days have passed since the first successful eBay sale.
More than 25 received payments have been completed on the site.
More than £165 has been generated in total sales.
If the account had been suspended previously and has been reinstated more than 90 days ago
The seller status on the account is Standard or above

and another saying that because the item was not sent with tracking information (which being collected in person it wouldn't) then the funds would not be available for 21 days.

Have I just messed up somewhere, with the boxes that I've ticked or is this sort of nonsense how EBay works now? I mean if you hardly ever use it 25 sales could take ages.

Thanks .
 stubbed 26 May 2015
In reply to Shapeshifter:
Well normally if you have someone collecting in person then you should ask for cash. Next time put 'cash on collection only' in the description, and, if they pay by paypal, refund it before they arrive to collect and ask for cash face to face.

This is because there have been numerous examples of people collecting in person but raising a claim for undelivered goods (because there is no proof of delivery) and this being upheld by ebay and paypal.

I guess you just have to wait for 21 days. Was it expensive?
Post edited at 12:49
 Šljiva 26 May 2015
In reply to stubbed: yes, unfortunately a common scam, and it seems nigh on impossible to complain about badly behaved buyers these days. good luck!

Gazlynn 26 May 2015

As kirsten says avery common scam.

The buyer will claim he / she never recieved the furniture. You have no proof of the buyer collecting the furniture. They will then claim the cash back from paypal (your account)

cheers

Gaz

oaktree 26 May 2015

ask the buyer to leave positive feedback,and i think then the funds will be released

Don't let anyone try to convince you of paypal infallibility!
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Don't let anyone try to convince you of paypal infallibility!

I notice the TV ads for PayPal have quietly dropped the 'People Power' byline. As it was quite clearly unmitigated bollocks. 'PayPal Power', yes, 'People Power', no.
OP Shapeshifter 26 May 2015

Thanks all I had no idea about these scams. Lesson learned COD next time.
OP Shapeshifter 26 May 2015
In reply to oaktree: I believe they've left positive feedback but still told 21 days.

Well, that's a good sign; they can hardly leave good feedback and then say they never received it. So, hopefully, not a con artist.
 Dax H 26 May 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

PayPal is a strange place.
2 months ago I ordered something online for £59 and it never arrived.
1 month ago after being ignored by the shop I started a PayPal dispute.
Last week whilst I was away the team was delivered to my office and I collected it this morning and when I checked my email PayPal have refunded me because the shop didn't provide tracking details.
I phoned PayPal and explained that though it was 2 month late the item did arrive but apparently they can not reverse the refund.
I emailed the shop and told them I had been refunded and also finally got the item and offered to pay again if they raised an invoice through PayPal but they have not come back to me.
In reply to captain paranoia:

When I pay, I expect my money to be accepted with speed, grace and no hassle. The few times I have tried to use (or have been forced to use) PayPal, I found it to be a complete pain in the backside. So I don't use it now under any circumstances.
 tistimetogo 27 May 2015

Agreed, it hasn't worked for me on numerous occasions. There are plenty of alternatives or better yet cash.
 auld al 01 Jun 2015

I wouldn't get too uptight about this yet, the same thing happened to me, the money was released in due course and following transactions were no problem. PayPal seems to do this with "irregular" users
 Seocan 01 Jun 2015

Agreed, i bought something online which i never received, paypal said they dont enter into disputes for 'that little'. It wasn't 'that little' to me. Only if nothing else available will i use them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...