UKC

Stanage Bird Ban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris M 28 May 2015
Anyone know if there are still bird bans on Stanage?

If so, any idea when they are likely to be opened again?

Thanks

Chris
 deacondeacon 28 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:

This is only from memory (someone in the know will be along soon no doubt) but it's normally about the beginning of July it's lifted. It's only about 20 routes out of about 1500 though.
 deepsoup 28 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:
www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=616683

The affected areas are relatively very small though, only a handful of routes out of bounds really.

edit to add: sorry, can't seem to make the link work.
Post edited at 19:16
 Jimbo C 28 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:

Only the areas around nests are banned and yes, it's normally just a small area of an absolutely massive length of crag. Banned areas are well signposted at the base of the crag, so you can just turn up and work around them. Unless you have a specific target in mind that is one of the banned routes, there's no need to put off a visit.
OP Chris M 30 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:

Thanks for the advice - it's time for round 2!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7349
In reply to deepsoup:

> edit to add: sorry, can't seem to make the link work.

You needed to add http://

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=616683
In reply to Chris M:

If you head to a crag page eg. Stanage Popular

You can click on a link to the Regional Access notes are available from the BMC. That should have current info on the bans. I'll make that link more obvious when the new crag pages are made live in a few weeks.

Good luck with round 2 dude!
 deepsoup 30 May 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
> If you head to a crag page eg. Stanage Popular
> You can click on a link to the Regional Access notes are available from the BMC.

Though in the case of the ring ouzel restrictions at Stanage those access notes will never be updated quickly enough to give specifics, they simply say:

"As usual, the nest sites change quickly and frequently as ring ouzels often have several broods each year with different nest sites each time. On site signage will be up around any of the nest sites where climbing may impact on the birds and this is always up to date and accurate."

Odd. Thought I'd tried that, must have mucked it up somehow...

I was a bit surprised to see Bill (the warden) pop up on UKC. (Good grief whatever next, Henry Folkard on t'internet?)
Proper "straight from the horse's mouth" info that is. There's nobody better informed about the ring ouzels, and wildlife around Stanage & North Lees generally. :O)
 Graeme Hammond 30 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:

When areas that are bird banned include decents as in the case at stanage popular it would be useful in future if there was a notice at the top as well as I used the decent next to narrow buttress after soloing in an unaffected area and only noticed when I got to the bottom. Lucky it was right on the edge of the bird ban area and expect I made alot less noise that alot of people climbing in the areas either side today.
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

The descent route to the left of Narrow Buttress isn't bird banned. The routes to the left of it are.
 smithaldo 31 May 2015
In reply to Chris M:
Think via media is banned and possibly central trinity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...