UKC

Wind turbines near Almscliffe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wiley Coyote2 29 May 2015
Story in our local papers today about an application for two 48m turbines near Almscliffe Crag.

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/wind-turbine-plans-for-almscliffe...

Clock the quote attributed to the developer: 'The crag is nothing, it holds as much weight as a rock in your back garden.'

'Nuff said!

Dan Arkle 29 May 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

A completely useless article that gives you no idea how close to the crag the turbines will be, 200m? 5km?
 digby 29 May 2015
Disgraceful. And it doesn't matter how close they are.
Post edited at 12:39
 schloosh 29 May 2015
It's here:

http://uniformonline.harrogate.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetail...

You can view all of the documents and correspondence relating to the planning application here:

http://uniformonline.harrogate.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetail...

The MOD and the Nidderdale AONB both object, amongst others.
Post edited at 13:17
 Dan Arkle 29 May 2015
In reply to schloosh:
Thanks,
So about 1.5km to the NE of the crag, clearly visible, but not towering over the crag.

Post edited at 13:42
 Jimbo C 29 May 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Looking at the planning info, they'll be about a mile away to the North West on slightly higher ground on the other side of a small valley (probably not visible from the 'popular' area of the crag). Personally I don't mind wind farms and don't think this would detract from the area, but I know others have strong opinions.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 May 2015

I'm sure that Project Manager's boss was well chuffed when he saw that quote!
 jkarran 29 May 2015

So they're over a mile away from the crag, not on top of it as implied. I'd be fascinated to know what the MOD's objection is.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
jk
 Andy Say 29 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> I'd be fascinated to know what the MOD's objection is.

> Sounds like a good idea to me.

> jk

You might be able to hit the American NSA folks at Menwith with a rocket from the top of one of them?

And, yes, sounds like a good idea to me
 Ridge 29 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> So they're over a mile away from the crag, not on top of it as implied. I'd be fascinated to know what the MOD's objection is.

Probably radar scatter from the blades, although these turbines don't seem to be tall enough to affect Menwith Hill.

schloosh 29 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> So they're over a mile away from the crag, not on top of it as implied. I'd be fascinated to know what the MOD's objection is.

> Sounds like a good idea to me.

> jk

You could read the emails they sent which say exactly why, it's on the documents tab of the planning application!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...