UKC

Consultation on the future of land reform in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyWright 30 May 2015
The Scottish Government has published the results of its recent consultation on future land reform legislation; http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/05/4885/0

Last Friday I attended the Community Land Scotland conference in Inverness. Lots of interesting debate and discussion. From a climber/hill walker’s point of view, rights of access, wind farm developments and the protection of wild land are certainly three strands of the land reform debate which are regularly discussed. I don’t however hear much discussion about other aspects of land reform among my hill walking/climbing pals. Is this something that folks are aware of/ interested in?

The concentrated pattern of landownership in Scotland (a small number of people own a lot of land) is often mentioned when discussing land reform. I imagine that the pattern of landownership is particularly concentrated in the mountainous parts of Scotland. Does anyone know how this compares to landownership in mountain regions in other parts of the world? Who owns the Alps or the Himalaya for example? How does the way in which land is owned in other mountain regions affect people’s lives there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...