UKC

Grigri and discoloured rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CPH 31 May 2015
Can a grigri discolour a rope at some stage? E.g. make the sheath blackish in places.
In reply to CPH:

Any belay device can/will do this, especially if your rope has got any dust/grit in it - just a consequence of aluminium being guide a soft metal.
 jon 31 May 2015
In reply to CPH:
Possible but more likely that it's from the karabiners. If you're using a grigri you're probably sport climbing - the lower off will probably be the biggest culprit. Anything aluminium that gets in contact with the rope will help make it black.
Post edited at 20:20
In reply to jon:

> Possible but more likely that it's from the karabiners. If you're using a grigri you're probably sport climbing - the lower off will probably be the biggest culprit. Anything aluminium that gets in contact with the rope will help make it black.

Wouldn't most lower offs be steel?
 jon 01 Jun 2015
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Yes if you top roped directly through them. If you place your own quickdraws or screwgates for top roping, then no.
Post edited at 10:53
In reply to jon:

You're right about krabs, but it's the belay device krab that will probably be the biggest culprit.
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

The rope doesn't touch the belay device krab when using a grigri!
 jon 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Interestingly I find that the type of rope has a bearing on this too. My Beals - Jokers and Stingers get very black. My ancient Simond rope (Cousin?) which is much rougher to handle than the Beals remains clean even though it's older than the Beals and has been used on much the same routes/crags/gear.

@ Yesbut: the cam in the grigri is steel but the part of the body of the grigri that the rope runs over is aluminium so sort of makes up for the rope not being in contact with the rope. I think rather than blaming one particular bit of gear though, it's fairer to say that any aluminium that the rope runs over under load will blacken the rope and more so if the rope is gritty - but see my comment about ropes above.
OP CPH 01 Jun 2015
In reply to CPH:
I have also, at last, found this:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=552178
OP CPH 01 Jun 2015
In reply to CPH:
For the record, I do not use a grigri, but a climbing partner (who uses a grigri) was suggesting that my Click up was blackening his rope (we are still good friends!). Interestingly, as per the Climbing Technology website, the Click up has steel parts that the rope runs over. I do use a CT Concept SGL belay krab. None of my ropes are blackened, and my more regular partner uses the same belay set up as me. And I lower off all sorts! I am not trying to draw a conclusion here; just adding more information.
Post edited at 15:09
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Ooops - yes!
OP CPH 01 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:
Oh and I might bump into you in Buis or at the Dentelles next week: I'll have a Click up and a clean rope...(still not trying to draw a conclusion by the way).
Post edited at 15:25
 jon 01 Jun 2015
In reply to CPH:

Well please do say hi if you do! Hope it cools off a bit...
OP CPH 01 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

Don,t say that, it,s cold and wet here in Stoney.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...