UKC

Buses Between Capel Curig and Bethesda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
I've been looking at various sites to try to find the times of buses between Capel Curig and Idwal Cottage but my searches have drawn a blank. Anyone got any info please?
 toad 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

tried this site?

http://www.traveline.cymru/

think you want the 6b
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to toad:

Well all I get on that is "No journeys to show"
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to toad:

A modified search brings up Capel Curig Departures at 07:16 and19:14(arriving 10:04 next day)
In short USELESS(but thanks anyway)
ruffydd 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

It used to be the s6 route, however according to http://www.swissitalianpaddlesteamers.com/snowdonsherpa/home.html (I know!) "the S6 has ceased to exist and the section of route between Bethesda and Capel Curig which was curtailed to Llyn Ogwen in 2014 now no longer has any bus service"

David L.
 Roadrunner5 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Hitch, its seriously reliable down those roads.

I forgot how much I enjoy hitching.. I was hitching all last week in France.
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to ruffydd:

> It used to be the s6 route, however according to http://www.swissitalianpaddlesteamers.com/snowdonsherpa/home.html (I know!) "the S6 has ceased to exist and the section of route between Bethesda and Capel Curig which was curtailed to Llyn Ogwen in 2014 now no longer has any bus service"

> David L.

Tallies with a response from Gwynedd Council
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Hitch, its seriously reliable down those roads.

> I forgot how much I enjoy hitching.. I was hitching all last week in France.

Agree 100% (Surprising how many stop for old farts
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71cdXXCrQ%2BL._SY355_.jpg
llechwedd 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Padarn Bus went bankrupt last May due to workplace fraud. They ran that leg of the Snowdon Sherpa service. Arriva buses took over many of the routes at that time, but the Bethesda- Capel Curig leg of the bus service was not one of them. A bus service hasn't run since then and there's no indication one's about to start.
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> Padarn Bus went bankrupt last May due to workplace fraud. They ran that leg of the Snowdon Sherpa service. Arriva buses took over many of the routes at that time, but the Bethesda- Capel Curig leg of the bus service was not one of them. A bus service hasn't run since then and there's no indication one's about to start.

So much for people visiting Snowdonia being encouraged to use public transport.
llechwedd 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> So much for people visiting Snowdonia being encouraged to use public transport.

I entirely agree.
I guess that leg of the service has been left out for a number of reasons-
Arriva probably cherry picked the most lucrative routes when they took over. I think they were overstretched to capture all routes with their existing fleet. Now that they have so many routes, almost a monopoly, there's less 'crumbs' for the smaller companies to continue and thrive. Gwynedd Council have then been able to reduce the subsidy of the buses because that service no longer runs, and they've been able to do this with a clear conscience, blaming their cuts on the demise of Padarn Buses.
 Neil Williams 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

When I think about how good it *could* be, I despair.

Neil
llechwedd 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

It sounds like there will soon be an opportunity for those bemoaning the loss of the Capel Curig- Bethesda bus service. Here's today's Press release in the local paper:

"Bus users in Gwynedd are being invited to have their say on public transport in the county.
Two surgeries are being held on Thursday June 18 at Llanberis and Bethesda, where bus users can speak to representatives from the local bus operators and Gwynedd Council.
The surgery at Llanberis takes place in the library , from 10am -12pm, while the Bethesda surgery will be held at the town's library, between 2-3.30pm.
All bus users are encouraged to attend."
OP mypyrex 04 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Seems a bit stupid that both these events are scheduled for a week day during working hours. I'm inclined to think that is not accidental.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...