UKC

Blatter resigns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 02 Jun 2015
Didn't see that coming

Arrest imminent ?
In reply to Chris the Tall: If he's telling the truth (always doubtful with Septic Blatter) then you can be sure that he knows the F.B.I. are coming for him and he's fooked. Good news. Hopefully that nice Jordanian fellow will get the job by default.

balmybaldwin 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

To be honest the only hope for real change is to dispand FIFA and start again
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> Hopefully that nice Jordanian fellow will get the job by default.

Hopefully not - and not Prince William either ! Someone who knows the game and has earned his position. But the chances are Blatter will ensure on of his cronies gets the job - a bit like Hein Verbruggen and Pat McQuaid at the UCI

Blatter now calling for a limit on length of tenure and claiming he has wanted to introduce such restrictions for some time but others prevented him. Given that he just stood for president for the 5th time, it's as believable as his claim that he has been trying to reform FIFA.
In reply to Chris the Tall: He's not officially leaving until he's fixed the election to replace him and been paid by the winner. After all, he's going to need something to live on when he's out of work.

T.
Jim C 02 Jun 2015

What a blow for all those that voted him back in. Their gravy train might finally no be put off the rails.
m0unt41n 02 Jun 2015

Very apt use for 'Good riddance to bad rubbish'
 gethin_allen 02 Jun 2015

I was thinking the same, he's worked out that they've got him by the balls and he's jumped ship.

Considering his defiant statements after the recent re-election I can't see what else would cause him to do this.
 Skyfall 02 Jun 2015

The fact there's no set timescale (news channels talking about 2016) leads me to fear the worst although one can only hope that he gets his comeuppance ("let's go FBI, let's go FBI" - to misquote Blatter) and FIFA truly reforms.
 Oceanrower 02 Jun 2015

Is this "resigns" as in Nigel Farage "resigns"?
 Andy Say 02 Jun 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Considering his defiant statements after the recent re-election I can't see what else would cause him to do this.

I think it would be really interesting to find out exactly what the gun was that was pointed at his head. And who pointed it.

We do need to recognise that he does have real support within large parts of world football
 Offwidth 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

Sponsors?
 winhill 02 Jun 2015

Jack Warner's been shouting his mouth off but considering his son already turned state's I'm not sure that is much more than whinging.

Apart from the unlikely WC boycott the other regions already made it obvious that other areas of work wouldn't be completed under his watch, so it looks like the threat of strike might have worked.

Say what you like about Sepp but at least he acknowledges that winning an election isn't a mandate, Cameron could learn a thing or two from him.
 caradoc 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:It's the devil or the deep blue sea with FIFA. The members are nearly all corrupt and they want someone who will let them continue in the manner they have become accostomed to. Get rid of Blatter and it could be even worse. I don't know why everyone get's so worked up about it. Why did we ever bid for the World Cup? Naive or just idiotic?

Morty 02 Jun 2015

With talk of UEFA setting up their own World Cup competition and FBI corruption charges aimed at FIFA I imagine SKY et al are reticent to support a sinking ship.
KevinD 02 Jun 2015

> Arrest imminent ?

I would have thought that would mean he would stay in position since loss of position generally comes with loss of power and influence and hence more at risk of people turning on you.
 elsewhere 02 Jun 2015
> Didn't see that coming

Not half.

At work today I was pontificating how I thought Blatter would serve his full term.
Jim C 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

Should that have been :-

> We do need to recognise that he has bought real support within large parts of world football

In reply to elsewhere:

Now for Qatar to be told to down tools and stick to falconry and camel racing
and it will be a really good day for the beautiful game
 Roadrunner5 02 Jun 2015

Great but this is the start.. I'd hand over to UEFA and start again. Let Figo et al gain control and then start again.

Sorry but USA USA.. boys did good..
 lowersharpnose 02 Jun 2015

I imagine he plans on destroying evidence until he is removed from office or arrested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...