UKC

What state of the tide can you access Mother Carey's Kitche ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Manthorpe 06 Jun 2015
Please could someone remind me what state of the tide you can access the base of routes at Mother Carey's Kitchen ?

Also is the access to Mowing Word tidal ?

Thanks
Andy
 snoop6060 06 Jun 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

That looks like the top of Brazen Buttress to me.

I need to walk through the cave at the bottom, to the right of BB though.
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

2 - 3 hours either side of low if you want to move around on the rocks below the crag, but as Snoop demonstrates, anytime if you abseil into the start of your route.

The routes that I have done at mowing word involve abseiling into the correct place, sometimes followed by a low level easy deep water solo traverse to get to the start of your route. Dierdre Sud can be started from semi hanging stances at various points depending on the state of the tide/swell.
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thanks Martin.
 snoop6060 06 Jun 2015

Yeah going down there would be a bit exciting at high tide, even as a strong swimmer.

We did deep space 3 hours after low tide I recall and it defo felt like a race to get goin. That cave would be grim if the waves started battering you.
 chris fox 06 Jun 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Superb
 Martin Hore 06 Jun 2015

Depends on the sea state and which routes you are going for at Mother Carey's. The guidebook is pretty helpful - do you have it? You can get cut off quite quickly around Rock Idol - had to take an intermediate stance - and needed to be confident I could climb it!

At Mowing Word you can abseil down to access the routes around Diedre Sud at most tide states if the sea is not rough but don't do this if there's someone down already. There's only room for one pair at the bottom if the tide's in.
A good option at Mowing Word at high tide is the Cormorant Flake area. I believe you can also access Heart of Darkness from here but I've not done it.

Martin

Cheese Monkey 06 Jun 2015

A simple ab in will get you into a few routes around Sun Smoke that are doable at high tide. A bit later when tide drops you can jump across to Brazen Buttress area, then Rock Idol etc

More complex abseils will get you into hanging belays/ledges etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...