UKC

State of mind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OllieF 09 Jun 2015

I've recently, un intentionally gone almost a month without a single tick, due to moving south and having very few people to climb with. In the past few days I've gone up a few routes with new parters, not anything above VS, and lost my cool. Prior to this month of absence, I've been climbing up to E1 and quite easily kept my mind completely focused on going upwards. This combination of a short break along with a change of partner and familiarity with their level of competency has fully thrown me overboard.

Does anyone else experience this? Discuss.
Post edited at 12:20
 Cake 09 Jun 2015
In reply to OllieF:

Sounds like time with new partners and time on the rock is all you need. Focus on getting out as much as you can, doing easy stuff. Fall off indoors with them if you want to check their belaying skills. And check what they're doing while you are leading too.
OP OllieF 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Cake:

I think your last point is what throws me the most, the very thought of needing to check up on someones ability to belay correctly is enough to make me lower off. I'll take your advice though, and stick to the easy stuff before getting back onto the harder ground. I just find it funny how the small things change your mindset so much.
In reply to OllieF:

You're not making an awful lot of sense. The idea that you will climb with someone without checking on their belaying abilities is very odd, particularly after you've just told us how scared you've become.
OP OllieF 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Of course I've checked on their belay abilities and I'm well aware that they are competent. I'm just wondering if anyone, after taking as shorter break as this has taken such a massive leap back?
In reply to OllieF:

What you're describing is not at all unusual, in fact it's the norm for most climbers, who need to be climbing several times a week to improve, and will typically lose their form quite rapidly if they don't climb for several weeks or months. Just a fact of life for most mortals who do other things to make a living apart from climbing.
OP OllieF 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not something I've ever experienced before, it sucks. Time to sort my act out and get out daily again.
 jkarran 09 Jun 2015
In reply to OllieF:

> Of course I've checked on their belay abilities and I'm well aware that they are competent. I'm just wondering if anyone, after taking as shorter break as this has taken such a massive leap back?

E1 back to VS isn't a massive leap, it's the sort of change you get with a slightly off day or feeling a bit rusty or maybe a bit hung over.

I'm sure you'll be back to previous form as soon as you're climbing more regularly again. Don't worry about it.
jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...