UKC

When and why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 12 Jun 2015
Evening all,
or rather morning. So simple question, when did you join UKC and why? What prompted you to join the ranks?

Me, 2006 and I wanted a pair of Scarpa Mescalito and I got them sorted that day! As in life, UKC is a bit up and down sometimes but despite the underlying crap now and then, I reckon we have a pretty good core of helpful, willing, like minded folk so here's to us

Long may it continue, Den

Ps, Bored as our 17 month old has turned nocturnal, currently sleeping but will no doubt be awake soon.....
 Roadrunner5 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

2002 I think.. certainly early in my PhD. Just for conditions info re scottish crags.

Its very different now, mainly that UKC keeps banning me.. but otherwise its just so less populated, I think facebook twitter et al have hurt forums.. quite severely.

I regularly make top 10 posters yet post much much less than in the past.
redsonja 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I joined 2 years or so ago, mainly to ask questions about different mountains I wanted to climb. Unfortunately, no one on UKC seems to have climbed them. Sometimes I can find helpful stuff or interesting debates but there is such a lot of bitching and negative rubbish I don't bother with it much now. I have joined a couple of other sites which are much better
 ByEek 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I joined in 2003. At that time, internet forums where just starting to emerge from the old newgroups and UKC at the time was pretty vibrant. There were lots of meet and greet events (picnics) which filled the hole in my life left by leaving my university mountaineering club. I believe groups that met up around that time still regularly meet up but my life moved on and I got interested in other things. I am still vaguely in touch with one or two folks via Facebook though.
 goose299 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

2010 for me. Hadn't realised it was so long ago now

Mainly to log routes
 panz 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

UKC-very much instructive,far more than any other site concerning typical alpine health problems, and sticks to my lifestyle.
 Morty 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I can't remember when I first joined (I don't think you had to join initially) but I remember perusing Rocktalk when I was at university (96-99) however, I'm not exactly sure when. I have lurked and posted under various names ever since.
 Rob Naylor 16 Jun 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> There were lots of meet and greet events (picnics) which filled the hole in my life left by leaving my university mountaineering club. I believe groups that met up around that time still regularly meet up ....

Indeed we do. There are usually several get togethers each year, the most regular being a long weekend in Scotland which grew out of the first Glencoe meet in, IIRC, 2000 and has occurred every year since then, migrating from Glencoe to Roy Bridge and next year to near Aviemore.

I think I first started looking at Rocktalk in the late 90s, using it alongside forums such as MTN and the uk.rec.climbing newsgroup, where I first encountered JoHNy and Sutty. You didn't hve to formally "join" when I joined, so I can't put a date on it!
 Bob 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

2002 when I registered, I've a reasonably low userId (819), but I was using the site for a year or two before that when you didn't have to register though I suppose the registration came in once it became popular and began attracting automated spam, Alan will/should have more details on that if he can remember that far back. Rockfax/UKC started up just as usenet forums such as uk.rec.climbing faded away. If you think it gets heated here then uk.rec.climbing was more like the wild west and that was one of the more restrained forums, the worst were some of the programming ones!

Varies in quality of content but it's always been like that, bit like pub talk really, best to look at it in that light. I'm on Twitter but that fills a different niche from forums such as this. I post regularly on four different forums, two are very active, this and another less so - UKB seems to have taken some of the traffic from on here (I don't visit that site very often and don't post there), no idea on Facebook as I don't use it.
 Tigger 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Last year for general advice while I was looking to start lead climbing,
 cfer 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

2006 for me, comment a lot less nowadays but lurk a lot

In reply to Denni:

2002 when I registered, I've a reasonably low userId (819),

how do you see your userid?

Bob 18 Jun 2015
In reply to cfer:

That was me mentioning user ID.

To see it, go to your profile and it's in the address bar - yours is profile.php?id=56308 on a desktop you can also hover the mouse over your name above a post and the ID is displayed in the address popup at the bottom of the screen.
 DerwentDiluted 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
2001 to find out what the score was with foot and mouth, changed my user name though so not registered as a member since then. Ah the good old days when UKC was essentially S7 online and JCT presided over us all like a fairy godmother!
Post edited at 13:11
 Wingnut 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

About 1999-ish, but can't put an actual date on it as it was before they had user profiles. Started posting on here because I was bored at work. :
 Wingnut 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Rob Naylor:
>> first Glencoe meet in, IIRC, 2000

Was it really that long ago? I didn't make the first one, but have happy memories of several subsequent ones as one of the cheapskate hangers-on at the Dead Squirrel.
davegreg 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

2015. I'm new to here. I love outdoor activities. I like hiking and backpacking best. Recently I got interested in climbing. I must say that UKC helped me a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...