UKC

Taken the plunge with a Fuji XE2 - now what lens filter ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 12 Jun 2015
After years of indecision over getting a 'proper' camera I've taken the plunge with a Fuji XE2 and 18-55 and 55-200 for an upcoming trip to Spitsbergen by sailing boat from Tromso in Norway. Any recomendations for protective lens filters ? UV or polarising ? And perhaps decent case recomendations ?
 Fraser 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave:

I only have a 'protective' daylight Hoya filter on my 35mm lens, nothing similar for the others. 'Effects'-wise, I have the Cokin P-series, single filter holder and use adapters for the lenses for 3 different ND grads: 0.6 soft, 0.6 hard and 0.9 soft. I have a Polarising filter for my 18-105 but never use it. I've also just bought a 10 stop ND for my Tokina w/a lens. I suppose I should really get something protective for all my lenses but I'm generally very careful with them and feel anything additional in front of them is to be avoided if possible.

I use a LowePro case if it's just the DSLR I'm taking, or if it's everything I have a small-ish LowePro camera bag, which can hold all the lenses, flash, accessories etc, and the tripod can be strapped on the outside. It's very similar to this one:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/lowepro/flipside-40...
 IPPurewater 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave:

A UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens. A Polariser is not usually used for protection. It darkens the sky and reduces reflections.
 ChrisJD 12 Jun 2015
 planetmarshall 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave:

A circular polariser is useful for those intense alpine blue skies, however the effect can be difficult to see on an electronic display.

Also - make sure to take your polarising sunglasses off before using one. 'It's not doing anything!'
 shaun walby 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave:

Ian using the 10-24mm, very good for landscapes...not a cheap lens though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...