UKC

Definition of 14 day return period?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 12 Jun 2015

If I bought something on 29th of May legally am I on day 14 or day 15 on June 12th? i.e. Does the clock start at "1" at time of purchase or reach "1" 24 hours after purchase?
 Dark-Cloud 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Shop or mail order ?

If its the shop then its 14 days from you buying it, so you bought it on day 1, if its mail order its 14 days from you receiving it *

* I am not a consumer rights expert.
OP Postmanpat 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Shop. Seems like I'm stuffed

It's very odd. We don't say a baby is one day ld the moment it is born do we?
Post edited at 18:48
 Glyno 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

put it another way...

if you bought the item on a Monday 1st (for e.g.), then I assume the 14 day period would end at midnight on the Sunday 14th.
Though I'd imagine most shops would give a days grace if they were closed on the 14th day
 Philip 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Can't you start from "you have 1 day to return it" and calculate the result by iteration.

I would argue if you bought it on Friday 29th you have until the shop closes today Friday 12th June to return it.
OP Postmanpat 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Philip:

> Can't you start from "you have 1 day to return it" and calculate the result by iteration.

> I would argue if you bought it on Friday 29th you have until the shop closes today Friday 12th June to return it.

So would i but O2 disagree
 Philip 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Phone trading standards - unless your complaint is the phone is broken, in which case e-mail them.
MarkJH 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> So would i but O2 disagree

It isn't a statutory requirement, so check the terms of your contract. On their website, O2 say "within 14 days". That seems in agreement with your interpretation. Depends how much of a fuss you want to make really.
 sheep 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> It's very odd. We don't say a baby is one day ld the moment it is born do we?

And therein lies the difference between counting age and time.

It still amuses me to come across millennium plaques which were placed on 01/01/2000.
The 2nd millennium started on 01/01/2001, but we all agreed to ignore that fact in favour of going with the (obvious?) change of year number.
abseil 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> It's very odd. We don't say a baby is one day ld the moment it is born do we?

In the UK, no, but in several countries in the Far East [including China] babies are counted as one year old on the day they're born. A baby born on 1 May 2015 will be 2 years old on 1 May 2016.
MarkJH 13 Jun 2015
In reply to sheep:
> And therein lies the difference between counting age and time.

It isn't quite the same thing though. Counting is concerned with how elements within a set of objects (in your example years) are named. The OP was concerned with the measurement of a defined period. Nowhere in the world would: "you have one year to get the report to me" mean "have it on my desk now"! "You have 14 days to return the goods" is similarly clear.
Post edited at 22:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...