UKC

bt wiring - is this correct?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 14 Jun 2015
This is a photo of the main 'box' the outside line comes in to in the house.
Can you tell me if its wired correctly?

Telephone line is 'ok' but quite crackly, internet drops when phone is used at same time, and is generally irregular.
Ive been through all the other checks including the diagnostic socket and been through everything on the phone with BT, however I am very reluctant to call out and engineer for £130.

http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/bechdan/media/DSC_0001_1.jpg.html

Brownie 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Try changing the "microfilter" unit they often fail, there should be one to each phone line. It should stop the drop out when you use your phone.
You should have got a couple with your modem, sometimes they are built into the new BT phone /computer splitter sockets - don't know if this type is more robust.

Sorry not sure on the wiring.
B
OP The Potato 14 Jun 2015

I think the current MF is about 2 years old so worth a go, thanks
 simonjb 14 Jun 2015

If the crackling happens when only a phone is connected (no filters, no router). Connect a wired phone (not DECT) to the master socket and dial 17070 select option 2 (BTOR Quiet line test) and listen for a while. If there is noise on the line report the fault as a voice fault and do not mention broadband....

Crackling and dropping out is quite often a filter problem so change them and ensure you have them in the correct places if you have extensions. (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitter_install.htm )
 Milesy 14 Jun 2015
If that is your master socket then you probably want to let BT put in (or yourself) something more up to date. Preferable you want an NTE5 box which allows you to seperate the phone and ADSL as soon as it enters and premises and before it has a chance to be corrupted by noise on internal wiring, extension sockets and what not.

I worked at the highest level of ADSL support for AOL for many years so I have a lot of ADSL knowledge and the majority of line and internet issues were and probably still are caused by factors inside your home with the things I mentioned above.

While things might have "worked before" that is not an indicator of what it should be now or should have been then.

Regarding the termination of the cable on the right - personally it could do with a few more twists before being punched down, but it shouldn't make too much of a difference here. I just have a personal preferance to keep my twists clean right until the terminal.

What happens to the cable at the right once it leaves this box? That is the important part of the equation?

What socket does it then go to?
How many sockets are in the house alltogether?
Do they all have filters?
Do you have sky connected to the phone line? Is that filtered?

As said, your connections after this are important. If you can describe the setup I can try help.
In reply to Milesy:

this isnt the master socket, this is a connection box.
The outside line comes in to the house and enters this box, the out cable i.e. right side goes to the master socket which has the accelerator / I plate, then microfilter.
There are no other sockets or extensions.
Ive just tried it with two other microfilters I had (and look new) and the result is the same - irregular.
Sometimes the broadband drops when calls are made or received.
Broadband speed check is good, ping is normal.
Quiet line test - a faint background hum which is constant, no crackling

Ive looked in to the wiring and it seems that two wires are all that is needed - the orange ring wire has been removed as is redundant
interdit 14 Jun 2015

Do you have a different telephone that you can plug in?
In reply to interdit:

yes why?
interdit 14 Jun 2015

> yes why?

Well - It'll probably eliminate the problem being caused by a faulty telephone.
 dmor9 14 Jun 2015

Hi
I am an openreach engineer
Yes the wiring in the bt80 connection is fine however screw terminals can hamper bb speeds particularly vdsl but should not create noise . You can pop out the circuit board and use some idc crimps to join the wires (http://tinyurl.com/ov3ksg4)
Try a new filter as this is a common cause for bb dropping out when phone is used. With regards to the noise does it get worse in wind or rain?
unfortunately its very hard to diagnose without being there!
Feel free to pm me with any further questions

dave
In reply to dmor9:

Thanks for being so open and helpful dave
 Milesy 14 Jun 2015
> Ive looked in to the wiring and it seems that two wires are all that is needed - the orange ring wire has been removed as is redundant

Yeah removing the ring wire is always a good starting point as it creates an electrical circuit which introduces noise.

As dave says, its hard to say without seeing it but also most home broadband equipment has a very short shelf life, including your ADSL router. Often as little as a year due to the quality of components inside them.

In my previous house I removed all extension points and put in an NTE5 box with a build in filter directly to where the outside wire came in:

http://www.claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/BT-Openreach-ADSL-VDSL-Adaptor-Fa...
Thanks milesy, that's pretty much what I'm doing / have done, I got the I plate which works fine (gets same speed as through the diagnostic socket) I may get the adsl plate if the microfilters fail often.

So far things have improved following changing the connector box for some sealed connectors (similar to those gel ones).

Thanks everyone
Post edited at 20:11
 dmor9 14 Jun 2015

milesy is spot on the best set up is an nte direct on to the lead in with no extensions the less joints and wiring the better
I would use a proper openreach nte and an openreach mk3 filter these can be found on e bay http://tinyurl.com/qa4vadx
Place this in place of the bt80 using the orange and white wires
however there still maybe a fault in the network such as hr or battery/earth contact but if you can eliminate your house wiring from the nte and your equipment then it "should" not be chargeable to you as the fault would be in the or network.
like i said before i cant totally rule out anything with out seeing it and running tests.
has you isp run a line test?
 Toerag 16 Jun 2015

Keep going with the advice already offered, but remember this - only change one thing at a time or you won't know what the problem was, and you need to prove the fault into a specific bit of the network by swapping things to see if the fault moves with them.
The BT connection box demarcates their responsibility - I believe they're responsible for faults upstream (towards the exchange) of the box. So you need to see if the line is good at that point, if it's still troublesome then make them fix it , if it's fine there then it's one of the following:-
wire to your socket
your socket
your phone
your splitter
your router or its DSL cable.

As suggested before, disconnect the 'ringing leg' (orange I think).
OP The Potato 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Toerag:
thanks but it was me who mentioned the ring wire!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...