UKC

Cullen Ridge Logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CHarrison 14 Jun 2015
Hi all, looking for a bit if advice.
Me and a mate are making an attempt on the Cullen ridge at the end of the month. We've done our research and are fairly confident.

However after planning the route in detail it appeared we have missed a major flaw in our plan, we have no idea how to get back from the finish point to the starting campsite (for a south to north attempt)

What do most people do? Bus? Taxi? Hitch? 2 cars?
2 cars is the obvious solution but not really practical as we're driving 7 hours to get there.
 wilkie14c 14 Jun 2015
In reply to SomeClimbingGuy:

Normally a taxi which'll be 30 or 40 quid. You could stay in the bunk house and wander back next day or you may drop lucky and get a lift off a GB camper that's out for a pint at the slig
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 14 Jun 2015

We left the car at the sligachan and hitched down the night before, stashed the tent before setting off and then picked it up after a meal in the slig.
 ScraggyGoat 14 Jun 2015
Temption is to head to the Slig to celebrate, and hope you get lucky with a lift and suffer the walk back if not.
Other alternatives depend on where you have started from, if you have any spring left in your legs and day light remaining.

If Glen Brittle back track to Sgurr Fionn Choire (passing under rather than over Am Bastier), descend the corrie to pick up the path, then road to Glen Brittle.

If Coruisk either Slig for celebration and then back through the Glen, or from SNG follow the ridge S to just before Uamha and then descend into Glen Slig. it's also possible to get into Lota (easiest from underneath the B. Tooth) and then Harta Corries from a couple of points, and then back to Coruisk via Coire Riabhach. You will need good light to find the way, and for the scramble down into Harta next to the waterfall, these corries are ill frequented, so there are few traces to guide you. So if knackered, or its getting dark best take the Glen Slig route.

Alternatively you can do Jamie's option of leaving a car or alternatively a second tent and sleeping bags at Slig.
Post edited at 14:20
 Tom Last 14 Jun 2015

Worth trying to hitch. We had a bloke notice us as he passed us by in his lorry that he was dropping a few miles down the road at the depot. He then drove back in his car to pick us up and drop us back at Gelnbrittle. He lived in Dunvegan! We offered his some beers and that, but he wouldn't hear a word of it. Top man.
OP CHarrison 14 Jun 2015

I think hitching down the night before and stashing the tent may be a good option. We're really hoping on somebody's good faith to help us out (I know we would give somebody a lift so hopefully karma helps us out a bit)
Either way I'm sure it'll be a god adventure!!
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Jun 2015
I know nothing about cuilin but on longer routes I've locked a bike at one end then cycled back to get the car.
Post edited at 14:53
 skog 14 Jun 2015

The Cullen Ridge?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Hm2IqTph7qs/VKWgvrbl2TI/AAAAAAAARI0/s-7QlvcoDnw/s...

The obvious start is Fallen Star, VS 4c, a three-star mini-classic. After that's it's easy scrambling and walking, albeit often quite exposed, until you cross the tourist path and have a final, chossy section to finish (though most just follow the coast path back). Don't forget to try the skink!

(Re Skye's Black Cuillin ridge, we just used two cars, and left one at the Slig. If doing it again, I might be tempted to leave a car at the Slig, get the bus to Broadford then Elgol, and start by getting the boat in to Coruisk. More hassle, but it'd be memorable.)
OP CHarrison 14 Jun 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Thats a good idea in principle however we couldn't get 2 bikes in the car with all our climbing and camping kit. Worth considering for future solo ventures though
OP CHarrison 14 Jun 2015
In reply to ACollins:

I'm going to do some sums and cost up taking 2 cars.
Mines pretty efficient e.g. 60mpg but his is a big 4x4 getting more like 30mpg so it may cost way too much
 Bob 14 Jun 2015
You don't have to start from Glen Brittle, a couple of mates walked down Glen Sligachan to the outflow of Loch Coruisk, dossed out by the Coruisk hut and walked up to the ridge from there. Andy (of this parish) and I carted their spare stuff back to the Sligachan for them, but it's a steady walk that you could stash your gear and head back in a day or two later.

If you are set on Glen Brittle then one alternative would be to camp at Sligachan, drive to Glen Brittle and either doss in the car or use a second tent, do the ridge then once back at the Sligachan whoever feels like hitching back for the car does so. If you take one bike then you could bike rather than hitch, doesn't need two people to fetch a car.
Post edited at 15:23
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Jun 2015

You could do it with one bike if someone didn't mind sitting around to be picked up?
 Michael Gordon 14 Jun 2015

I hitched. If you stand around the Sligachan car park for long enough you should find someone leaving who's heading Glen Brittle way.
 ERB 14 Jun 2015

Leave the car at the top of Glen Brittle the night before, walk down to the camp site and carb up, start early and hope for good weather, when you get to Sgurr nan Gillian retrace your route passing under Am Bastiar to the spring at the top of Fionn Choire. Theres a path down Fionn Choire to a track that joins the Glen Brittle road where your car should be.

Mark

Good luck
In reply to ERB:

Pedants might say that by not descending Sgurr nan Gillean you have not traversed the whole of the Main Ridge ...
 Mark Collins 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Pedants might say that by not descending Sgurr nan Gillean you have not traversed the whole of the Main Ridge ...

I'm not seeing the lack of descent you say pedants might be averse to?
 summo 14 Jun 2015

Either camp, hotel or bunk house it at the slig, hit the bar after the ridge to rehydrate. Get the bus, taxi, hitch, stroll for car the next day.W
In reply to Mark Collins:

Senior moment ... I'd forgotten about the west ridge Your route, and positioning of car seems a v clever solution.
 ERB 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Ahh the purist debate ,(which I was lucky to have on many an afternoon with Charles Roads god bless him at the Glen brittle hut) as I understud it starts at the summit of Gars-bheinn takes in all 11 monroes and includes TD gap,Kings chimney, Innpinn and Nasmiths route and finishes on top of Sgurr-nan gillian in one push, How you got on and off didnt matter, the traverse was peak to peak. (by the way your book has pride of place on my book shelf)

Mark
 petestack 14 Jun 2015
In reply to ERB:

Surely has to include Bidein Druim nan Ramh too!
 Mike_d78 14 Jun 2015

We gambled on hitching a few years ago, but everyone driving down the valley seemed to be either families or old people. So we didn't get the hoped for lift and endured a painful trudge down the road. We cussed every single one of them on their way down the valley and on their way back 20 minutes later. fun whatever you do!
OP CHarrison 14 Jun 2015
In reply to mikedelderfield:

I've found myself in that situation, it's all too easy to start resenting every set of headlights that come effortlessly whizzing past 😂
OP CHarrison 14 Jun 2015

Is there a taxi service on skye? I don't mind paying rather than the 14(?) Mile trudge back to the car!
 Sealwife 14 Jun 2015
In reply to skog:

Fantastic view! I've never seen it from this angle before.
 skog 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Sealwife:

I can claim no credit for that - I linked it from this blog:
http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/new-years-day.html

It is a great view of the head!
 RichardMc 15 Jun 2015

We parked near the Slig and walked to Coruisk and then up Gars-bheinn. Bivvied. Then back to the Slig via the ridge.
Simples
 HP 15 Jun 2015

I was very disappointed to find that this thread wasn't about the Twilight Saga:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Cullen
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jun 2015
In reply to HP:

Twilight saga? That's holidays for really old people isn't it?
In reply to ACollins:

> I know nothing about cuilin but on longer routes I've locked a bike at one end then cycled back to get the car.

You're thinking of A Collins ridge...
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jun 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Eh? Longer routes as in routes of the longer variety.
In reply to ACollins:

Cullen, Cuillin, Collins.

A feeble attempt at humour...
 Mike Lates 16 Jun 2015
In reply to ERB:

The historical traditional Traverse takes in all peaks along the crest of the Ridge plus Sgurr Alasdair as the highest peak. Any deviations (Dubh Mor, Sgumain, Thuilm) from the crest were recorded as variations. Only when Andy Hyslop did Dubh Mor and record the route as the record did Munros start to feature. With the down-load of his route to rockfax the only description available before the SMC 96 guide and Skye Scrambles were printed, and the exciting competition with Martin Moran, inclusion of Dubh Mor became the norm. Missed by most aspirants is that Dubh Mor only adds 12 minutes to the record runners but adds over an hour of complex terrain before they've even reached the Gap and Coire Lagan about which Gordon theatrically says "now for something completely different"!
I have tapped Finn Wild to set a new time along the historical route in his unique position of a man who can. Before Es set his record we discussed it and he gave it some thought but ultimately decided that the Hyslop line was the record to be broken.
The records are there for a few athletes only and my personal view is that the aim for first time aspirants is to reach the summit of Sgurr nan Gillean having traversed by any line from Gars-bheinn. Purists will enjoy coming back to see how much more pure they can make it but eventually you realise the sheer number of possible variations and that, ultimately, the mountains are in charge and will always decide for us.
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Jun 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ah I get it now! You can tell someone really can't spell when they don't know they can't spell
 Jamie B 16 Jun 2015

> Is there a taxi service on Skye?

There are probably about 20-odd taxi firms on Skye - we're quite cosmopolitan these days!

Liable to be pricey, but unless you're super fit or really good on a bike I'd not recommend a hilly 15 mile ride to cap off what will have been a knackering enough day on the ridge!
 Marq 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Mike - any update on conditions on the ridge? Any snow left or has it all gone now? Heading up this weekend for a week.

Thanks,
Marq
 maybe_si 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Marq:

Did the ridge this weekend, perfect conditions, no snow on the ridge at all, just a couple of patches of neve around in a few gullies that won't affect you at all... just makes the place look pretty!
 Marq 16 Jun 2015
In reply to maybe_si:

Congratulations and thanks for the conditions update. Hoping for good weather next week for an attempt.

Marq
 Dave Barker 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Well said Mr Lates - even better is to ascend via Dubh Slabs and continue to Gillean (missing Sgurr nan Eag). This gives a belting mountain day either using the early Rib from Elgol or walk in the dark from Sligachan. If using a v early start from Slig. you can do Clach Glas - Blaven and then coast path to Coruisk prior to Dubhs - you don't need athletic pretentions to achieve this wonderful round but good weather, knowledge of the terrain and good company!
 shantaram 16 Jun 2015

Definitely no need for 2 cars. We left our tent at Sligachan campsite, drove to Glenbrittle to start the ridge. Returned to the tent in Sligachan and then the next day I hitched back to Glenbrittle to pick up the car (while my girlfriend relaxed at the campsite!).
OP CHarrison 24 Jun 2015
Thanks again for all the feedback.
I'm back home again now after poor visibility made navigation almost impossible and an attempt dangerous, the last days of our trip were forcast to be worse so we called it early.
Very disheartened but now I just want the ridge more than ever, unfortunatly it will be next year before I can commit the time off work for a Scotland trip due to other commitments so in the mean time I'm going to be doing more lake district walking and scrambling to go back on top form!
 Michael Gordon 24 Jun 2015

Bad luck. It's been an unusually crap summer weather-wise.
 Mark Collins 24 Jun 2015

Yeah sorry things didn't turn out better for you. We went up last Tuesday and were greeted with wind, rain and little visibility waking up Wednesday. Which days were you actually there if you don't mind me asking? I'm attempting to correlate forecasts with what actually occurs, sad I know. Since the Sligachan webcam went down again, I've started to wonder if the bad weather ever ends. However, some UKCers have posted pics so it can't always be bad.
OP CHarrison 24 Jun 2015

We went up Monday and Tuesday, i think the forcasts can give a rugs guideline but really it very hit and miss, on Tuesday we got back to the campsite at 9am (we set off at 4am for a ridge attempt) and called the trip off, driving home through Glencoe it was 20 degrees glorious sun but forcast rain. The highlands don't play by the rules
 Joak 24 Jun 2015

> The highlands don't play by the rules

Oh I think they do. They wrote them!
 Bob 25 Jun 2015

What's a "rugs guideline"?

When we did the ridge we were lucky: drove up on the Friday; Saturday was a bit blurgh so went for a low level walk; Sunday was forecast fine so went for it and got it done in the day; Monday was cloud down to 300 metres and strong winds. Pure luck.

If you can be in the area (i.e. not somewhere like Birmingham) then if the weather improves you can nip out to Skye and have a go. Does require that you are flexible about your plans though.
 Trangia 25 Jun 2015

When I did the Cuillin Ridge we met another party (total strangers) doing it opposite direction. After a 5 min chat during which they decided that we were trustworthy, they gave us their car keys for us to drive their car from Slig when we got down back to Glen Brittle which did us all a favour!

The car owner had an "any driver" policy.
OP CHarrison 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

Typo should be rough 😂
 Mark Collins 27 Jun 2015

Thanks for that. I've still got a screen print of Tuesday's weather forecast, which I saved as it looked pretty good and was wondering if anyone made an attempt that day.
 atrendall 27 Jun 2015

If you are talking about last Tuesday (23.6.15) then I was up on the ridge and the weather was nothing like forecast. Early morning cloud was down to the base of the Great Stone Shoot in Coire Lagan and for most of the day it was pretty much totally clagged in with visibility fairly limited. While it didn't actually rain the atmosphere was extremely damp and much of the rock wet and slippery. I wasn't actually doing a traverse but out taking photos and went from the TD Gap to the In Pinn but I met 3 lads doing a traverse and finding it hard in the less than great visibility. There were occasional clearings and it made it very atmospheric but not the bright, dry day that was forecast.
 Jamie B 27 Jun 2015
In reply to atrendall:

Agreed, clagged in at the north end too, with wet patches not drying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...