UKC

Smashed iphone screen-cheapest options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bust my iphone screen and I don't have phone insurance,any recommendations for the cheapest places to go for repair? Thanks.
 Dave the Rave 14 Jun 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Have you checked your home insurance?

If the phones an old one, there's some good deals on 4s that would be cheaper to replace. These £50 backstreet shop repairs can wreck the phone I've been told.
 Mostin3 14 Jun 2015

Which iPhone is it? It may be worth ordering the screen and doing it yourself. There's tutorials on YouTube
 thomasadixon 14 Jun 2015
iPhone 5 screen replacement is easy, if that's what you've got. Just watch a vid an you can buy screens that come with the tools off eBay. Not worth trying to just replace the glass though, too much work.
Post edited at 17:40
 wilkie14c 14 Jun 2015
In reply to thomasadixon:

Yes, iphone 5 and 5C are easy, screen off eBay for about £20. iPhone 5S is a little harder as you have the biometric home button to deal with as well. The 4 and 4S are not difficult but a lot more disassembly to do
 andy 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
An Apple store will replace it for about £70 (in fact they just replaced my phone as it was quicker...).
In reply to andy:
> An Apple store will replace it for about £70 (in fact they just replaced my phone as it was quicker...).

Gave you a new phone for 70£? Bargain
Had you bought it from them or a carphone warehouse etc?
Post edited at 19:16
 Wee Davie 14 Jun 2015

Another vote for the DIY approach. As long as you follow the steps on these fix it websites iPhones are very repairable by the amateur. I've fixed a couple myself. Parts are cheap on that auction site.
 andy 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
> Gave you a new phone for 70£? Bargain

> Had you bought it from them or a carphone warehouse etc?

The chap replaced it under warranty (so for nothing - the £70 was what they quoted to repair) as he said it obviously just "developed a crack". I wasn't going to argue!!

I bought it from Apple.
Post edited at 20:34
In reply to andy:

> The chap replaced it under warranty (so for nothing - the £70 was what they quoted to repair) as he said it obviously just "developed a crack". I wasn't going to argue!!

> I bought it from Apple.

I like stories like that. You must have been polite
andymac 14 Jun 2015

I repaired my own.

At the time was a 4 , and the parts were about £15.parts come with little tool sets

Fiddly ,but if I could manage it, so can you.bit I was worried with with was fitting the lcd mini scart type strip

But it worked

As per usual ,I was left with a few screws left over
 Mostin3 14 Jun 2015
In reply to andymac:

You can get the screw layout templates off the internet. As you take a screw out you out in the its place on the paper and this ensures all screws go back in the correct places. Certain screws must go in certain holes. There's parts of the iPhone where more serious damage can occur if a screw of too greater length is put in the incorrect hole as it will wind down and contact either the ribbon cable or board beneath it, causing a short circuit.
andymac 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

There was one long screw that is important to get in the right place.

In the wrong hole ,it can break the lcd
Kipper 14 Jun 2015
In reply to andy:

> ... they just replaced my phone as it was quicker...).

I don't use these myself, but took my son's knackered iPhone into the closest store I could find as he was about to go away for 2 weeks - (had booked a slot with a 'Wizard' or whatever they're called, but they were busy talking bollocks) - some kid had a cursory glance, said it was knackered, and gave me a new one.

Cú Chullain 16 Jun 2015

I cracked my old iphone3 screen a few years ago and ended up buying a new screen off ebay for not very much and followed the replacement instructions found on youtube!
 benghull 16 Jun 2015

if your going to DIY it you might as well replace the battery while you have it open (if its over at least a year old anyway) again really easy to do. Replaced the screen and battery on mine. Tried to just do glass first and trust me its not worth it just get a whole new unit. Be meticulous and take your time and you'll have no worries at all.
 RomTheBear 17 Jun 2015
As others have said, get a new screen off amazon (whole from panel unit) and replace it yourself. It's a bit fiddly but pretty easy if you follow some of the youtube tutorials. Most screens will come with the necessary screwdriver.
Make sure to read the reviews on amazon, as some of the cheaper screens have significantly lower image quality than the original screen.
Post edited at 09:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...