UKC

Portable projectors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 18 Jun 2015
Hi folks,
Anyone any recommendations for a portable projector?
Will use it with my Mac and I'll be using PowerPoint.
Also, best sort of cheap but good background to screen it onto
Thanks, Den
 ben b 19 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Only experience was with a Dell mini-one that was awful. Terrible picture, awful mains interference and flicker, followed by an intense smell of burning and an emergency shutdown requiring another projector to be sourced in a hurry.

On the basis of this I'd avoid Dell min-projectors like the plague!

b
davegreg 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

What's your ideal price?
cragtaff 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Optoma are well known and usually reliable, I carry one around and use it at lots. be aware that if a digital projector ever goes wrong its cheaper to buy new than have it repaired, and that includes buying a new lamp, often more expensive than buying a new projector.
 Neil Williams 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Go for as high a light output as you can (lumens). The lower output ones are only any use if it's pitch black.
Rigid Raider 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Is the projector dying? I go on overseas trips and snap some quite acceptable pictures with my Galaxy then when I get home I screen mirror to the TV and show my family the pictures. No messing around with cables or screens.
OP Denni 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:
Hi folks,
many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

As far as the budget goes, I haven't thought of one as yet but not ludicrously expensive. Needs to be reliable and good quality.

Thanks for the advice about the lumens and the Optama recommendation, will have a look around again.
Here is what I've looked at so far....

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/PPX3414_EU/picopix-pocket-projector

Any good/bad points about it?
Thanks again, Den
Post edited at 20:33
 pass and peak 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Just be careful about these small Picopix projectors, you need to do a lot of research on the reviews about them. Very few of the cheaper ones will run powerpoint etc direct from your computer, yes they can display whats on your computer screen, but at the same resolution, when its blown up to fit on the wall it looks crap. Standard projectors access the program direct and display it at a much higher resolution on the wall than on your PC screen. Also the brightness can be great in the dark, but just shutting the blinds in a room on a light day they ain't going to cut it. Mind you LED lights are the way to go, lots of Youtube reviews out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...