UKC

What is CLLM?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wiley Coyote2 21 Jun 2015
Quick question. Can anyone tell me what the CLLM is? The initials are on a sign (all in Welsh so I could not understand it) on an old hut by Llyn Arenig Fawr in Snowdonia. My first thought was that it was some sort of bothy/refuge but as it's at quite a low level and only about 15 mins from the road and served by a good access track it seemed a strange place for a refuge.
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Not sure on the initials, but could it be this hut.... http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=97
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Yes. That's the one.Thanks very much. I'm guessing CLLM may be just the Welsh translation of the MBA or their national version of it.

I did wonder about that.

The standard translation of 'Bothy' to welsh is the usual Welsh word for a cottage "Bwthin", but the structure otherwise would be right for something like "Cymdeithas Llety Mynydd" (LL counts as a single letter in Welsh so would be C.Ll.M.) which would loosely translate as "Mountain Accomodation Society".
Can't find this usage online though.

No wonder I was confused! (So what's new?) Thanks to your info I've got a bit more now. The sign is C.LL.M so the two 'L's are not divided by a full stop, tho they are both capitals. The sign also reads Gymdeithas Llochesau Mynydd (why C in the initials and G in the full name I've no idea tho I know that C and G are sometimes interchangeable in Cwm/Gwm) and Llochesau means shelter. Anyway mystery solved so thanks very much indeed, Ron.

The C-G thing is not that they are simply "interchangeable", it is the welsh 'soft mutation' - a relic from the fact that welsh was a spoken language long before it was a written one, so 'lazy' speech patterns have become enshrined in quite complicated grammatic rules - gets even more confusing with words beginning with G where the letter is dropped altogether (perhaps similar to a 'dropped aitch' in English - think of grammatical rules for a written form of a yorkshireman's "'E's fallen down an 'ole in't ground")

Nay, lad, Yorkshire's dead easy....provided you were born 'ere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...