UKC

Bird Behaviour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 Jun 2015
There was a blackbird on our lawn today and at first I thought it had been hurt. It was front down on the ground with its wings outstretched actually flat on the ground. Also it had its beak open. The weather was warm and sunny.

Just wondering if it was doing no more than sunning itself? Any bird experts?

cb294 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Could have been sunbathing or anting, both are regular comfort/feather care behaviours.

CB
 Yanis Nayu 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Can't see it needing to work on its tan...
OP mypyrex 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Can't see it needing to work on its tan...

Think you'd better get your coat.
 John H Bull 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Some birds (e.g ducks) feign wing injury when a predator (e.g. a fox) is around to draw attention away from their nest or young. The game is that if the predator falls for it, it gets a peck on the face and might clear off hurt. Or if it's a big scary predator, the bird can scoot off first.

Might have something to do with it, might not!
Post edited at 17:11
 deepstar 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I saw a Crow doing this the other day, also dry and warm, is'nt it something to do with them catching Ants that are attracted to the shade under there wings?
 dale1968 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Our chickens do the same and see other birds doing the same, just sunning themselves
 Stig 23 Jun 2015
In reply to deepstar:

Out for a run the other day I saw a heron doing this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Blue_Heron_Sunning.jpg

Pretty odd sight!
 flopsicle 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Stig:

That's not sunning, he's dealing in stolen feathers....
 Bob 23 Jun 2015
In reply to deepstar:

Crows have been known to attract ants not for food but to use them to get rid of parasites. The crows grab the ants which in defence squirt formic acid, the crows try and ensure that the ants squirt the acid over their feathers thus killing the parasites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...