UKC

Does UKC need a group hug?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 24 Jun 2015
OK, a number of us have been guilty of it at some point - I know I have - but is there really any need for some of the confrontational attitudes and bile that seems to be coming more and more common on UKC.

It doesn't seem to matter what the thread subject, but within a dozen posts (often less) someone starts with the personal insults.

Of course we all have different opinions, and a good old spat on here is often highly entertaining, but recently, it seems that the confrontations are becoming far more personal and vitriolic.

Maybe UKC should develop an ethic of not saying on here, what you wouldn't say face to face at the crag?

Not only might it reduce the vitriol (I said might ) but also make threads far more constructive and interesting.

After all, even though this is the internet, aren't we all suppose to be a bit further up the cerebral food chain than the average 16 year old Twitter warrior?

aln 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Idiot.
 Andy Farnell 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

What is the evidence for your claims...

Andy F
OP Goucho 24 Jun 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

> What is the evidence for your claims...

> Andy F

The second post
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> Maybe UKC should develop an ethic of not saying on here, what you wouldn't say face to face at the crag?

I'd hope everyone here would agree to that.

marsbar 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Hugs. (But only platonic cause I wouldn't want to upset Mrs G, I hear she is well feisty innit).
 Run_Ross_Run 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> It doesn't seem to matter what the thread subject, but within a dozen posts (often less) someone starts with the personal insults.

This post didn't

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=618614&v=1#x8075259

ScraggyGoat 24 Jun 2015
The 'second post' that would make a good name for a climb, eclipsed of course by neighbours 'flame wars', 'gone viral' and 'virtual reality'. 'Cyberspace' would have to be something gnarly, with no easy retreat, and an uncertain outcome on a huge complex face with lots of dead ends, but a with glorious and visionary potential.

From Aln's profile 'he's less grumpy and more mellow as the tears go by'..................oh, hang on that's a Freudian typo! But certainly something we should all consider.
 The Pylon King 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

The core problem is that climbers are inherently total wonkers.
In reply to Goucho:

Actually, I was thinking recently that things had calmed down a bit. And no, I'm not just being contentious...
 jsmcfarland 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Dunno about UKC but after the Game of Thrones finale I definitely need a hug :P

On topic: it's amazing how quick people are to slag each other off on here. 95% of it I'm sure you wouldn't say to the same person if you met them in the pub. Keyboard warriors indeed!
 Aigen 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

This is why I don't post on UKC anymore. Its a waste of time. Wait for it someone will post after me saying I just made a post by responding. I only read through the first few responsese and then move on.
 deepsoup 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:
God no, certainly not a group hug, ghastly things.
If you're offering everyone an individual hug though, ah go on then you big ol' teddy bear you.
 Timmd 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:
> The core problem is that climbers are inherently total wonkers.

youtube comments are often worse than on here, but I do find myself wondering about the people who seem to be instantly confrontational and assume other people are stupid.

This post will probably be disliked
Post edited at 18:34
Andy Gamisou 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> Maybe UKC should develop an ethic of not saying on here, what you wouldn't say face to face at the crag.

Nice idea, but (for example) I'm from Newcastle. If you get my drift bonny lad....

Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> youtube comments are often worse than on here,

That's the understatement of the year. I'm amazed by the vitriol on YouTube, even under the most innocuous of videos.

Timmd 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Ha, it was disliked...I wonder why? It must be the people who think others are stupid.

Same here about the youtube comments, they can leave one wondering.
Post edited at 20:40
OP Goucho 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Nice idea, but (for example) I'm from Newcastle. If you get my drift bonny lad....

In that case, I'll save any comments about the grades at Bowden Doors until I'm getting spanked there again
 stp 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Well not sure what a group hug over the internet would look like but otherwise I'd say you're spot on.

I also think the abusive comments will undoubtedly put some people off from participating at all (indeed I know some people who have said so). The number of posts does seemed to have declined over the years so its not hard to see why. For people to carry on regardless shows either ignorance or disrespect for the health of the forums.
 Timmd 25 Jun 2015
In reply to stp:
I agree, I've noticed less of the 'fluffy' people or hippy types seem to post now than used to do, as if they couldn't be doing with the pernickertyness.

(Obviously, that's my interpretation...)
Post edited at 20:55
 FactorXXX 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

as if they couldn't be doing with the pernickertyness.

Not wishing to be perdantic, but shouldn't that be pernicketiness?
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> ........ but is there really any need for some of the confrontational attitudes and bile that seems to be coming more and more common on UKC.

Seems pretty tame compared with how I remember it being. I don't think there is really that much 'bile' (aside: when did it become possible to spread bile, and for that matter, vitriol electronically ?). Plenty of differences of opinion robustly argued, which is how it should be on an active forum.

and you can stick any notion of a group hug right up your kilt, by the way.
 zimpara 26 Jun 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

You need a good flogging, shitforbrains.

No, seriously!
In reply to Goucho:

Half of UKC posters are wankers, the other half arseholes.

You don't think you're an arsehole? Well come and join us you wanker.
 zimpara 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

It's the English posters in here who are generally arseholes.
Go onto a foreign forum and it's all hugs and inspiration, a bit on safety and have fun.
abseil 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Nice initial post, Goucho, and thanks.
 FactorXXX 26 Jun 2015
In reply to zimpara:

It's the English posters in here who are generally arseholes.

Being Welsh, I tend to agree with you...
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

Being English, so do I
Andy Gamisou 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Half of UKC posters are wankers, the other half arseholes.

Pretty sure I fall into both categories. I think a bit of irreverent abusiveness is OK so long as it stays tongue in cheek. Taking anything said on here too seriously (or expecting anything you say yourself taken in a similar manner) is a bit silly, in my humble opinion. If you don't agree then you can go and....
redsonja 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Aigen:

same here- I just find it all rather unpleasant
 Phil Murray 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:
I've been finding it unpleasant - especially recently. I have several interests (which are all vastly more friendly and inclusive), I love climbing, yet on here I wonder why it all seems so nasty sometimes.

I think it's a small minority setting the tone. As at the crag / on trips. climbers seem a great bunch. So it's UKC Forums. Hmmm.

My mates don't come here anymore - they find it too abrasive. Me too. I'm off climbing - have a nice w/e , I won't miss you.
Post edited at 17:24
redsonja 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Phil Murray:

I feel exactly the same as you Phil. It's only UKC, as other forums aren't so nasty. Czech and Polish sites are great. I hardly visit UKC now but whenever I do, it's all bitching.
Hope you have a good weekend
 Hay 26 Jun 2015
In reply to redsonja:
One certainly gets the feeling that all that's good in climbing is happening elsewhere. Is there an opposite of zeitgeist...?
 stp 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> I think a bit of irreverent abusiveness is OK so long as it stays tongue in cheek.

Problem is on an internet forum you've no idea where someone's tongue is. And a lot of it is clearly more than just irreverent abusiveness.
Andy Gamisou 27 Jun 2015
In reply to stp:
> Problem is on an internet forum you've no idea where someone's tongue is. And a lot of it is clearly more than just irreverent abusiveness.

Both true.

Just been looking at

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=618998

A good example of the sort of thing this thread is aimed at?
Post edited at 05:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...