UKC

Pontesford Rocks Guide Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BiffonaDiff 29 Jun 2015
I've recently been to Pontesford Rocks, lovely crag and great aspect. A gem in Shropshire.
Sadly I had no guide book so we don't know what we climbed. I am having a little difficulty getting hold of a copy of West Midlands Rock. Please can any one PDF the relevant pages, or sell me a copy? Pontesford Rocks
 Coel Hellier 29 Jun 2015
In reply to BiffonaDiff:

Send me an email and I'll send you a pdf.
 TobyA 29 Jun 2015
In reply to BiffonaDiff:

Rumour has it that the West Mids guide sell for bizarre amounts of money second hand. Maybe they are just that, rumours, but anyway, it looks like Coel can send you a PDF, you're not the first person to ask so there must be some "open source" versions kicking around by now.
In reply to BiffonaDiff:

Pontesford is going to be covered in the next Clwyd guidebook (due out later in the year). If you or anyone with good up-to-date info would like to look at the proof for Pontesford please email me.

Mark Glaister
 TobyA 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

Are any of the other traditionally West Midlands cliffs going into the Clwyd? I know that Llanymynech is already in but as that crosses the border it sort of makes sense. But if Pontesford goes in, why not Carreg y Byg, it being limestone and virtually on the border. And indeed if Pontesford (being much further in Shropshire and not limestone) will Nesscliffe be included too? And if Nesscliffe and Llanymynech are in, that's 50% of the old guide, so you might as well do all the rest, including the Worcestershire mega crags!
 Max Hunter 30 Jun 2015
In reply to BiffonaDiff:

I've got a copy of the West Midlands Rock guide. willing to sell it.
ISBN 1-85284-200-8
adam11 30 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

....and Pandy crag, Pandy Quarry + the little crag in the woods just up the road from Carreg Y Byg that's tricky to find
 TobyA 30 Jun 2015
In reply to adam11:

> ....and Pandy crag, Pandy Quarry + the little crag in the woods just up the road from Carreg Y Byg that's tricky to find

But those are in Wales aren't they? Both the crag and quarry (banned but supposedly superb) are both in my Clywd guide; the old, pre-Rockfax one. It seems that Rockfax are border skirmishing in the style Llywelyn the Great and trying to eat up crags of Mercia for Clywd! As a man of Mercia I feel my ancestors calling on me to defend the Marches from the Welsh marauders. They've got plenty of great crags already and don't need to nick the few we have! It seems I could either try building another dyke (across the A5 perhaps), or offer to write a Rockfax West Midlands in defence!

pec 30 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> ..... there must be some "open source" versions kicking around by now. >

Just a warning, when I went to Pontesford earlier this year I hunted around online for the mythical Pontesford PDF and having apparently found it, tried to download it only to inadvertantly download a trojan horse which downloaded a stack of other unwanted dodgy programmes and swamped webpages with unwanted adverts.
Took me a week to get rid of that bugger, just be careful what you download.

Skyfall 30 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> or offer to write a Rockfax West Midlands in defence!

I was tempted to just hit 'like' but that seems a poor response. Yes, go for it ! As a Welsh person living in the W Mids...
adam11 30 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA: I'm half Welsh, and live right on the border. So it's all fine with me
In reply to TobyA:

Only going to include Pontesford Rocks and Pandy Outcrop, no Nesscliffe or Carreg y Byg.
adam11 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor: Right then, I'll go and sulk. I only wanted CYB in a new guide because Big Ron nicked my 'Indecent Exposure' route name for something far more spectacular and worthy in the Peak
OP BiffonaDiff 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:

thanks I've just done that.
OP BiffonaDiff 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Max Hunter:

Thanks Max, I'll try the PDF first and maybe wait for the Clwyd guide to materialise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...