UKC

Excessive intense dreaming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Escher 30 Jun 2015
Am interested if anyone experiences similar?

I dream a lot, I pretty much always vividly experience 5-6 dreams per night, can recall what happened and the content of each dream quite easily the next day but they leave me feeling wiped out for at least the next morning as though my brain is looking for a rest. I find it hard to wake up, feel groggy, generally phased out.

When I don't recall or experience my dreams as intensely I feel much more alert. If I've had a few beers, I barely recall any and wake up feeling more refreshed.

I really enjoy dreaming and they are generally interesting and not nightmareish or frustrating dreams but feeling wiped out every day is a bit of a pain.

Anyone have similar experiences?
 marsbar 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Yes. Some days I wakeup exhausted. It's annoying.
 krikoman 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

You'd be even more tired, or dead, if you didn't dream.
OP Escher 30 Jun 2015
In reply to krikoman:

As I said I enjoy dreaming, but excessive dreaming is a pain. You ever experienced it?
 Dauphin 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Could be related to a sleep disorder. I'd talk to my G.P. about it if I was you.

D
 beth 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Too much cheese, lamb, caffeine of an evening? Try some magnesium supplements just before bed... it'll help you sleep.
Removed User 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Have you stopped masturbating recently?
In reply to Escher:

I always get the most vivid dreams when I'm sleeping relatively lightly, ie having a nap or slowly waking up. This would suggest to me you aren't sleeping deep enough?
ultrabumbly 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Do you always get this or does it vary with time of the year and happens more now with the longer days(leading you to mention it)? If so I would suggest trying curtains and blinds that cut out ALL the pre dawn light. For me I was half waking up with slightest daylight and not really realising it. I often experienced a half day dream type sleep for the last couple of hours rather than proper rest. It's great for early alpine starts and the like, not so great if you are getting to bed at 1am and half waking around 4 for a few months while living a "normal" life.
 SenzuBean 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Do you take any medications?
OP Escher 30 Jun 2015
In reply to beth:

I did have a lamb sandwich with leftover roast last night but I still dream intensely even when I haven't eaten anything in the evening. I am very intolerant of caffeine so only have one caffeined tea first thing then decaf the rest of the day.

In reply to Hardonicus: Ha! No, I don't think thats the problem.

In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Yeah I've thought that, but it does feel like the sleep is even heavier, it's a hard thing to explain.

In reply to Ultrabumbly: All year round. I do have blackout blinds.

In reply to SenzuBean: No, I don't take any meds.

One thought is my partner is a bit of an insomniac. She will be on her iPad/Kindle in the middle of the night. I rarely wake up when she does but that might be disturbing my sleep. Also it isn't just feeling wasted the next day it is also a feeling of being emotionally drained. It's like the opposite of the dreams themselves, in that if I really enjoy myself dreaming and I often do then I have the opposite negative effect upon waking. Bit like a high followed by a low.

Appreciate your thoughts.
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Have you stopped/cut-down on drinking recently?
 Hamfunk 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Try some or all of the following:

No coffee after midday
Turn off TV, phone, computer, tablet an hour before bed and read a book
Maybe look into some basic relaxation and meditation techniques to calm the mind before sleep

Would you say you are stressed or anxious about anything at the moment?

(I'm no professional!)
 Dauphin 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

How old are you and have you always had this problem or in the last few years, why is the missus insomniac? Because you snore, talk in your sleep or otherwise disturb her? Best get it checked out, some sleep disorders can have very serious effects on long term health. Sorry to be a bearer of ill tiding, if its nothing its fine, if its something it can be fixed.

D
 krikoman 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

> I did have a lamb sandwich with leftover roast last night but I still dream intensely even when I haven't eaten anything in the evening. I am very intolerant of caffeine so only have one caffeined tea first thing then decaf the rest of the day.

Have more caffeine

> In reply to Hardonicus: Ha! No, I don't think thats the problem.

Are you doing it too much, more than six a day is classed as excessive.

> In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Yeah I've thought that, but it does feel like the sleep is even heavier, it's a hard thing to explain.

> In reply to SenzuBean: No, I don't take any meds.

you should start.

> One thought is my partner is a bit of an insomniac. She will be on her iPad/Kindle in the middle of the night. I rarely wake up when she does but that might be disturbing my sleep. Also it isn't just feeling wasted the next day it is also a feeling of being emotionally drained. It's like the opposite of the dreams themselves, in that if I really enjoy myself dreaming and I often do then I have the opposite negative effect upon waking. Bit like a high followed by a low.

Get a new partner.

I'm not a professional either ( at least not one that can help with these problems ).

The Ivanator 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

Looking into your crystal ball do you see a bearded man who metamorphasizes into a rolling bug on an impossible staircase?
 Dave Garnett 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Escher:

You do realise that it's UKC that's the dream?
 Dauphin 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Dream within a dream. Pretty deep stuff.

D
 LeeWood 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Escher:

This appears to be a 2-part problem: your sleep is light and wakeful PLUS you have unresolved issues to dream about. In fact, is there a thread of commonality through these dreams, I mean a common message?

I find my sleep patterns relate to rehydration, which may explain why beer aleviates problem. Beer however is a poor hydrator. Don't eat late and drink more water, learn to match your liquid needs with intake. I sometimes find sleep better (deeper) when forced to get up 2x for a piss.
davegreg 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Escher:

I also enjoy dreaming. I think dreams are interesting.
But sometimes nightmares put me in a bad mood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...